World Cup Willie 1966

sandie

As a 15 year old schoolkid I noticed all the new signs going up all over the place in French, German, Dutch annd other languages on Toilets, Bus Stations and road directions. As a kid we all had the World Cup Willie stickers on our school bags and Portable Radio,s. And at the end we won.

Can anyone remember those days:D :D:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As a 15 year old schoolkid I noticed all the new signs going up all over the place in French, German, Dutch annd other languages on Toilets, Bus Stations and road directions. As a kid we all had the World Cup Willie stickers on our school bags and Portable Radio,s. And at the end we won.

I can Sandie. I am just a little older than you it seems. I remember the flagpoles that were put up in Wicker, flying all nations flags. They were also in Herries Road opposite the Wednesday ground and red asphalt was laid down too. The greatest thing for me was that as a 22 years old, the licensing hours were extended and there was no breathaliser in those days. I well remember the signs in different languages too. Happy Days.

Do you remember the song “world Cup Willie” sung by Lonnie Donegan?

The Council at the time failed to put up flags/signs saying that Sheffield was the home to the oldest football club in the world.....Sheffield FC (formed in 1857).

In the media the other day there was much talk about Rooney's birthday and him reaching 21. He shares he is birthday with Sheffield FC. The only place I saw this mentioned was a couple of lines on tele text.

Hi Stevie I totaly agree, Sheffield FC get no coverage and a pillock like Rooney gets headline news. He is not in the same league as Nobby Styles, The Charlton Brothers, Derick Dooly, Peter Lorimer and many more.

Most of the players today get obscene wages and are nothing more than priamadonna's

I'll never forget the night that the Germans beat the Swiss 5-0.

What an atmposphere. There must have been about 15,000 flag waving Germans on the kop, all chanting "Uwe" (Seeler).

In their accent the chant came across more as "oover", to which a few local lads got a retort going of "hotpoint"!!!!

I also have a strong memory of the Uruguay players leaving the pitch and ground in tears after being "cheated" in the quarter final, by a combination of German play acting and an English referee. (One of them had to be dragged off the pitch by a member of the local constabulary, after refusing to leave, after being sent off.)

Magic days indeed. It would have been nice to see us have hosted it again - not so much before we die, but if this summer in germany is anything to go by, before FIFA and the American corporates destroy it.

~Our bus used to go up Herries road under the 5 arches from SWFC and i can remember all the foreign supporters camping in tents on ths hillside there.

When you looked down Herries Rd towards the ground there was a big World Cup Willie on the front of the ground.

Hi Birty

Can you remember the atmosphere around the City, from Teenagers to elder folk. There was never any trouble with the different supporters from other Nations with our home fans, Its a pity that today football is no longer a game of gentlmen but free for all by a minority of yobs.

I sometimes whether the game is now a group of 22 spectators (the players) watching the behavior of hundreds.

of yobs Will we ever have the families and their children bieng able to go to the matches at a reasonable cost with no fear. I as a lot of people at the age of 10 can remember going to the match either Wednesday or United in our scalfs without trouble, all we wanted to see was the game and at half time the cup of oxo.

Oh memories

Archived