World Cup Willie 1966

sandie

One thing I distinctly remember, is that as a 14 year old, and having been lead to believe in those early post war years that Germans were bad people; was on encountering them for the first time in my life, in our city during the World Cup, was discovering that they really were as football mad and just like us……. well apart from wandering down Penistone Road wearing Lederhosen , anyway!

I also have long abiding memories of the Swiss fans, with their cowbells (and being encouraged by the Star to join in their “Hopp Suisse” chant).

The Swiss defenders may just as well been hopping about though whilst Der Kaiser (Franz Beckanbauer) strolled through them at ease; their cause not having been helped when three of their most experienced players been sent home (having broken curfew, after being unable to resist the charms of our local girls), on the day before the game against Germany.

Now ladies.

If you would like to tell us on here, just what happened..…..……

Also, there must be people on this forum, who (or knew people who) invited German fans (who by the time they had stayed here for two weeks or so , were Pfennig-less by quarter final time) into their homes, and gave them beds and food, who have some interesting stories to tell.

Archived