House removal advice/recommendations - no quotes/advertising

doddy

We've just moved with A. B. Castle Removals.

Pros:

• They gave us a discount for not moving on a Friday
  • They were fine with us finally booking them with only three days notice
  • They sent a proper lorry which was plenty big enough for all our stuff
  • They called the day before the move to confirm that everything was still good to go
  • They arrived promptly in the morning as booked.
  • Their two removal men worked hard all day, almost without stopping, and were finished by 5.

Cons:

• We'd told them about the piano when we booked, but they forgot about it and so the two removal men didn't know there was a piano to be shifted, when they arrived.

Overall: good service, reasonably priced, would recommend and would use them again ourselves.

Edited by vincentb
correction to which day we were moving...

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a short notice removal. Tues/wed/ next week.

I have Washing Machine, 2 single Beds, kitchen table and chairs, long roll of sealed Lino,

2 pc desks, various boxes etc.

Moving from S36 to S14

Just moved house with SBS- cheapest quote we received (they will do fixed price if you ask) and they were really prompt, really quick and really friendly. They were here 8.30am and had us all packed so fast it was a few hours wait for the keys which they were really nice about. Really hard working and trustworthy. Glad I followed the reviews I read here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Im looking for some quoted for a full house removal from DN15 to S8, exact date is not known yet as i dont have my moving in date but will be roughly late august beginning September. Its a move from 3 bed house to 2 bed house, many thanks

Hi,

When we moved into our current property (our first home) we did the removals ourselves. Now we are looking to move again, S8 to S17, but know we cannot do it alone anymore. Having never used a removals company I'm not sure what to look for. I have seen details about a 'packing service' however I wondered if this is good value or quite expensive?

Are some days more expensive than others? (I've heard so)

Are prices per day, per hour, per mile etc?

How will they judge what to charge us based on our contents?

Thanks in advance

PS - We do not have a removal date yet, possibly August, so am merely asking for advice & recommendations at this stage. Thank you :)

Are some days more expensive than others? (I've heard so)

Are prices per day, per hour, per mile etc?

How will they judge what to charge us based on our contents?

Friday is the most popular day for moving - some firms give you a discount for moving on a different day, but it might not be much.

Prices are based on the vehicle, the number of movers, and the hours taken.

When we moved this year, they simply asked us what size of house we were moving from; they reckoned they could judge it well enough from that.