Old public toilets - Where did they used to be?

Originally posted by Greybeard

Hmmm...that's now two Public Loo sites been turned into eateries (the other is the one outside the Hallamshire Hospital).

Strange role-reversal :D

Make that three!!

The old mens public toilets in Hillsborough ( bottom of Forbes Road) are now a restaurant too. (Mr Tse's or something like that)

When we were kids, we used to play with the vicars kids who lived in the vicarage at the bottom of Forbed Road. Guaranteed, if we looked over the wall at the bottom, there would be, 9 times out of 10, some dirty old man flashing at the entrance to the loo's!!

I can't bring myself to eat in there as I always think of it as the smelly mens toilets!!

• 3 weeks later...

The loggia-style public lavatory on Ecclesall Rd South (bottom of Knowle Lane) is also scheduled to shut according to a recent Council Report -along with around a dozen others.

Reasons given include drug-taking,cottaging and alternative

facilities available.

The alternate facilities cited for the Ecclesall closure presumably mean the new library which closes at 8pm.

God knows where our bus-drivers are going to piddle.

As a driving instructor out on the road all day, public toilets are a subject very close to my heart.

I know about the ones at Gleadless Town End, and the ones in Graves Park but if someone could provide a list, it woul dbe most useful!!!

Otherwise, i'll just have to use McD's again!

Here's a brief list of the few that are still open in and around Sheffield...

Bottom of Rivelin Valley Road - on the corner of the Junction between Malin Bridge/Stannington Road.

South Road, Walkley - Next door to the old pet shop near Walkley Library

Town Hall - Top corner of Surrey St (Gents) or top of Pinstone St near Peace Gardens (Ladies)

Outside Pond St bus station - 10p cubicle

Moorfoot - opposite bus stop just across the road

Manor Top - Just below Netto, near Manor Top tram stop.

If I think of any more I'll edit the post and add to the list :)

• 3 months later...

Now I know you're not going to believe this but in East Lothian Scotland they've won awards for their public loo's.

Spent a week staying in Haddington and you had to see them to believe it. Hot and cold running water, lights, fresh smelling, staff, toilet paper, hand drying facilities both hot air and paper towels and lastly, you'd better sit down for this one, in the gents vases with freshly cut flowers!!! Now that's a public toilet.

At the bottom of Rutland Road on the left at the traffic lights is the remains of a Gents only.

Ecclesfield now does not have any but used to have 2. One at the park entrance on Mill Road and one opposite the Post Office.

High Green had one at the corner of the park, its still there but closed down.