Old public toilets - Where did they used to be?

"Cottaging" is when men who like other men hang around places like public toilets, hoping for sexual favours, the most famous cottager is probably George Michael.......

Along with actors Peter Wyngarde (Jason King) and Wilfred Brambell ( the elder Steptoe) who had to face 'the Beak' for the same thing, Importuning.

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 23:36 ----------

There was a gents only convenience at the junction of Ellesmere Road and Sedan Street next door to Warriner's garage and directly across the road from the Mormon Church.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-188-1220008324.jpg

The nickname of Fulham FC is 'The Cottagers'...mmm ?

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 23:47 ----------

I heard a story from the 1950's where a gent was urinating in the open top urinal in the Wicker...He happened to look upwards and saw a group of working girls, looking down at him from a window above.

Being in a playfull mood having just had a couple of pints he smiled up and on the spur of the moment he waggled his "willy" at them..They took this with great glee and all laughed at his antics..except for one old maid who promptly phoned the Police and he was later arrested for indecent exposure.

Perhaps that's why my dad told me that when going thro' the Wicker, to walk on the right (opposite to cinema) going to town.

Edited by stpetre
Add

The smell!

Who could ever forget the smell of stale urine and soggy cigarette butts?

The ones at the bottom of the Moor stank horrendous. Though not as bad as the gents in the old Castle Market. The smell of the butchers, fishmongers mixed with stale urine was horrendous :gag: