G.P.O Telegrams 1952-56: any ex-messengers out there?

Are there any ex messengers out there?

Some of us meet at the penny Black about once a month.

I was a telegram boy in 1952 to 1956 Riding the BSA bantams as a job was great.

Our garage was on shude hill back of the main office.

I Have several photos from that time if anyone is interested.

• 8 months later...

telegram boy.just found this thread i was at gpo 1955/58. mr. sid fox was in charge, with nunk gleadall plus a chap holland? stayed till 18 then went down stairs as postman. names i remember wilson, dawson, schofield, charters

keeley,can see faces but short on names ,

telegram boy.just found this thread i was at gpo 1955/58. mr. sid fox was in charge, with nunk gleadall plus a chap holland? stayed till 18 then went down stairs as postman. names i remember wilson, dawson, schofield, charters

keeley,can see faces but short on names ,

It was Fred Holland. He lived in some flats off Pinstone St. I was a messenger till 1954. There was a thread on here sometime ago with a photo of some messengers during a petrol shortage. Frank Bird and Peter wright were on it and I think Brian Wing.

hello prioryx.

remember frank bird,peter wright,also lanky roy scott,jack[ ernest]swallow

worked a few years with them downstairs as postman &driver. thanks fred hollands name was it nunk gleadall who had false arm? rememberpie and one

in canteen

hello prioryx.

remember frank bird,peter wright,also lanky roy scott,jack[ ernest]swallow

worked a few years with them downstairs as postman &driver. thanks fred hollands name was it nunk gleadall who had false arm? rememberpie and one

in canteen

Pie and two with the meal ticket. Remember that Nunk referred to us as Offisercs and Gentlemen Soldier and a Man if he was flogging you with some nasty run on a push bike.

• 11 months later...

are there any left of these fine lads who turned out in all weathers

i had the privelidge off being there names i remember tug wilson big charters,

danny palmer graham schofield,twewty barnes,jack(ernest)swallow,lankey roy scott brain keley brain wing peter wright i know this thread is a little old but there must be some left regards aj,

Hello again,

How are you?

Ed Dalton,Jim Dalton,Alan tew,Ray Colley,And me Keith Ridgway,still meet Penny Black once a month ,this friday is the next one 11th july 2.00.

Danny palmer is still in touch also John hutton.

Don't know if there are any other survivers but these are still in touch.

All the best,

Keith Ridgway.

Archived