G.P.O Telegrams 1952-56: any ex-messengers out there?

• 2 months later...

Global search for former Telegram Messenger Boys / Telegraphist (G.P.O.)

I’ve launched a Global search for former Telegram Boys / Telegraphist to keep alive memories of a bygone era. I’ve set up a website and message board to record stories and memories from old telegram boys & telegraphist around the world.

In just a few months we have had many old Post Office messengers / telegraphist who have signed up to the site from across the UK as well as New Zealand, Thailand, Los Angeles and Spain.

Most messenger boys began working for the GPO, as it was then, at the age of 14 or 15 and were the bearers of some of the best and the worst news.

In the days before phones, texts and emails, when a telegram was the only way of getting a message to someone on the same day, the boys were dispatched on foot, bicycle or motorcycle.

They delivered news from weddings and pools wins to strikes, funerals and informing widows of lost servicemen.

The messenger service was disbanded in 1981 but the new website hopes to reunite old friends and create a piece of history which will keep the tradition of the telegram boys alive forever.

We have held reunions in the city for the last four years with hundreds of old boys attending, some well into their 80s. Many have signed up to the website and put their stories on the messageboard . We are holding another reunion on 4th October 2008 the same day that I started the post office 32 years ago delivering telegrams and it will also be around a year the web site for telegram messenger boys was started

“Being a telegram boy was preparation for entering the man’s world of work. There were distressing times and happier times depending on whether you were delivering bad or good news and you saw life from both sides,

“In the war years the sight of a telegram boy sent shivers into the heart of women who had family members serving in the armed forces. It was part of the job to deliver telegrams notifying next of kin that a loved one had either gone missing in action or had been killed on active service.

“At the end of the day the telegram messenger boys and telegraphist have a lot of history and it would be a shame if any of that was forgotten.”

There are also old photos of telegram boys on the website as well as pictures from the recent reunions.

Anyone wanting to share their stories and photos on the site can log on to ww.birminghamsandsclub.co.uk or if they have not got access to a computer or internet they could write down their stories / memories as many as they like of their time or any events during their time as a telegram messenger boy or telegraphist and then send it to me I would gladly put their story on the web site for them. They can write to me at the address below

Roger Green,

Midlands Special Hand Stamp Centre,

Royal Mail Birmingham,

St Stephens Street,

Birmingham

B6 4AA.

If your require further information please contact me on 07967029704

Roger Green

• 5 months later...
hi toneyhall

did you go in army same time as tony wilson,big charters,navy man,do you remember jim dalton,ray colley kieth ridgeway they all meet at penny black waiting to here about next meeting will try my best to get there regards allen jenkins

Hi Allen i remember the following-tom acaster,porky thompson, tony parkin ,kieth ridgway frank stenson,brian wing,george binns,plus many more.I live a bit too far away to dop in for a pint, but it is nice to touch basewhith you regards, toney

Archived