G.P.O Telegrams 1952-56: any ex-messengers out there?

Guys, just be wary... "tomacaster" may not be Tom Acaster, it could be someone trying to get your address and tel number... they can call the no. and find out if you are in or not.

Or I could be wrong, but wanted to make you aware. His posts and messages do seem a little strange.

If I am wrong, I deeply apologise- I really enjoyed reading this thread.

Hi Allen,Not heard from you for a while,had e-mail from kieth and get lots of funnies from him.Will try and make a reunion this year when i find out when they are. regards Toney

hi toney

sorry about not replying but have been a littlebusy with paint brush

i thing my wife has a deal with dulux paint do remember porky thomson

he became a phg when we went down stairs from messengers will try and get kieth ridgeway e mail then cantalk to him will send him a pm to obtain

it regards aj

Hello again,

How are you?

Ed Dalton,Jim Dalton,Alan tew,Ray Colley,And me Keith Ridgway,still meet Penny Black once a month ,this friday is the next one 11th july 2.00.

Danny palmer is still in touch also John hutton.

Don't know if there are any other survivers but these are still in touch.

All the best,

Keith Ridgway.

Hi

This is Tom ACASTER EX 1012.Joined messengers in 1952 along with Terry Mackley and David (tansy) Lee.Keep bumping into T. Mackley who informs me D.Lee is stil knocking about at Woodhouse somewher. Still remember some of the names on the messages but some must have joined after I left in Sept 1954 to go into forces.Have somewhere a photo taken after I had left of a group of messengers filling up a bike with Mackley astride it.Please let me know of next meet and will attempt to get there for a pint and a natter.

Regards T. Acaster

hi toney

sorry about not replying but have been a littlebusy with paint brush

i thing my wife has a deal with dulux paint do remember porky thomson

he became a phg when we went down stairs from messengers will try and get kieth ridgeway e mail then cantalk to him will send him a pm to obtain

it regards aj

Hi Allen Sorry to spoil your painting session/ had a reply from Tom Acaster dont know if you knew him? but we were very good friends on the Post Office,sadly we lost touch after army service.he is going to get in touch with Keith,getting lined up for the reunion/. regards Toney

Hi Allen Sorry to spoil your painting session/ had a reply from Tom Acaster dont know if you knew him? but we were very good friends on the Post Office,sadly we lost touch after army service.he is going to get in touch with Keith,getting lined up for the reunion/. regards Toney

hi toney

got reprieved from painting only new tom acaster when called in office when

on leave i was at gpo 1955/58as a messenger then went down stairs as postman then a driver for a good few years hope you get reunion date will look forward to

getting the date myself would be great to see some off our old friends

and talk about old times regards aj

Hi Allen i remember the following-tom acaster,porky thompson, tony parkin ,kieth ridgway frank stenson,brian wing,george binns,plus many more.I live a bit too far away to dop in for a pint, but it is nice to touch basewhith you regards, toney

Tom Ancaster, Danny Palmer, George (Dusty) Binns, Frank Stenson.

Having just been introduced to Sheffield Forum and being reminded of my days as a telegram lad, from1950-1954.

I also remember lads named Phelan, Caley, Walmsley and Corbet.

Called up in the military 1954, sent to Cyprus to subdue the EOKA terrorists and because George Binns and l were able to subdue Mrs. Brooks, the Postmistress at Rustlings Road, Post Office, the Cyprus job was a doddle.

Tony Parkin

Hi Tony.

Just seen your message on page.I believe you were in Nottingham Police Force and did you do your full stint.

Mentioning Mrs.Brookes at Rustlings Rd and being flogged to Whirlowdale Park with Greeting Telegrams on a Saturday.I remember Keith Corbett very well as he was courting a girl from the Telegraphists.If I remember right he had ginger hair.The next time I see my cousin Frank Stenton i'll let him know all about this website and maybe he will get in touch.

Cheers Tom. Acaster

Archived