G.P.O Telegrams 1952-56: any ex-messengers out there?

Tom Ancaster, Danny Palmer, George (Dusty) Binns, Frank Stenson.

Having just been introduced to Sheffield Forum and being reminded of my days as a telegram lad, from1950-1954.

I also remember lads named Phelan, Caley, Walmsley and Corbet.

Called up in the military 1954, sent to Cyprus to subdue the EOKA terrorists and because George Binns and l were able to subdue Mrs. Brooks, the Postmistress at Rustlings Road, Post Office, the Cyprus job was a doddle.

Tony Parkin

Hi Tony, Well you certainly dont seem to have lost any of your humour since I last saw you in 1954 Its good to know you are still around.Do you still live in Sheffield ?Best regards, Toney

Having just been introduced to Sheffield Forum and being reminded of my days as a telegram lad, from1950-1954.

Called up in the military 1954, sent to Cyprus to subdue the EOKA terrorists and because George Binns and l were able to subdue Mrs. Brooks, the Postmistress at Rustlings Road, Post Office, the Cyprus job was a doddle.

Tony Parkin

hi tony joined messengers 1955/58 remember people you recall,was it charlie phelen,he was a postman/driver peter wamsley phg then inspector when i went down stairs in 1958 danny palmer went to gpo engineers porky thompson also phg frank stenton i think was driver also regards aj

hi tony joined messengers 1955/58 remember people you recall,was it charlie phelen,he was a postman/driver peter wamsley phg then inspector when i went down stairs in 1958 danny palmer went to gpo engineers porky thompson also phg frank stenton i think was driver also regards aj

I worked with Charlie Phelan - brilliant bloke. Peter Walmsley was the Inspector at Sheffield North East PDO (Lane Top). He retired from there.

I worked with Charlie Phelan - brilliant bloke. Peter Walmsley was the Inspector at Sheffield North East PDO (Lane Top). He retired from there.

Nigel,were you also a telegram boy?I can't recall your name, forgive the lapse of memory,but I know all the one's you mention Toney Hall

hi nigel

as toney hall asked we you a messenger i new charlie we he was at lane top we used to call on way back from doing the wortley post run and deliver a few packets /parcelsthat were to big for the postman to carry your name seems to ring a bell but memories same to fade a little regards aj

hi nigel

as toney hall asked we you a messenger i new charlie we he was at lane top we used to call on way back from doing the wortley post run and deliver a few packets /parcelsthat were to big for the postman to carry your name seems to ring a bell but memories same to fade a little regards aj

I wasn't a Messenger. I didn't join until 1964. I knew Charlie when he did the Ecclesfield OMV duty at Lane Top. I got on well with him. Peter Walmsley was there as AI when I started, but came back as Inspector later.

It was Fred Holland. He lived in some flats off Pinstone St. I was a messenger till 1954. There was a thread on here sometime ago with a photo of some messengers during a petrol shortage. Frank Bird and Peter wright were on it and I think Brian Wing.

Do you know where the thread is with the photo's? Frank Bird was my Father in law, he passed away Sept 2004.

Who remembers the motor cycle mechanic George Colwell, and his efforts to govern the motor cycles by putting a piece of copper tubing on the throttle cables so you were unable to open the throttle fully, so reducing the speed. But we all sussed this and before each shift we were able to remove the offending piece.

On my last shift as a messenger l didn't know whether to weigh the copper tubes in as scrap or give them back to George. However, l decided to give them back. Walking into George's workshop l said "Here George do you want all these back". He looked at me and at the same time picked up a very large spanner and said "Its you thats been taking them out you little

b------d". I decided at this point to make a very quick exit out of the garage.

Yes Tom Ancaster, l did do full time in the Nottinghamshire Police and now live in Mansfield. If you are in NARPO, you may be able to get my telephone number via the Notts. Branch.

Tony Parkin

Hi Telegramboy.Remember me Tom Acaster No 1012.Could you let me know date and time of next meeting,would love to meet up.

HI Tom,

Good god your all coming out of the woodwork..this sheffield forum the culprit,

You have just missed this meeting it was Fri 24th April.tony Parkin has just emerged toney hall alan jenkins and Frank birds daughter in law has just been asking for photos,you probably knowFrank is dead so is Harry tew,but alan tew is at the meetings ed dalton me Keith ridgway,ray colley,charley phelan Jim dalton etc 12 of us have just been to krakow for a week,a annual outing benidorm last year,so the BOYS CLUB is still alive and kicking email me kayarr@blueyonder.co.uk and i will let you know when the next meet is,

All the best,

Keith.

Tony Parkin

Hi Tony,

I started 1952 pond st,do you remember me/ Keith ridgway(the ugly bugger)!!they are all coming out the woodwork now through the forum.now have Danny palmer who came to my 70th in the queens head,Ed dalton,Jim Dalton,Ray colley,Charley phelan,Alan tew,John hutton are all still in touch,we meet for a few pints and a natter every 5/6 weeks in the penny Black,Toney hall and Tom Acaster have just come on the forum and also yourself.If you want to keep in touch my mail is kayarr@blueyonder.co.uk,Frank birds daughter in law has just been in touch for somr photo's,Brian wings wife Wendy still in touch,So the BOYS CLUB still alive and kicking,

All the best,

Keith.

Archived