Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking - it worked for me...

(forgive me for posting this again, I've said it before on this thread....)

I recommended the book to three people, and it didn't work for any of them - funny old world isn't it? But it was really REALLy good for me.

I think it's certainly worth a try, but for people not to have too high expectations before hand. :)

It's not the Allen Carr book but the Allen Carr method that works. People absorb information in different ways; just becasue reading it on a page doesn't convince you doesn't mean that the message itself is at fault; it's probably just the way you interpret it.

As I said earlier in this thread, I understood the method, but the book just left me with too many unanswered questions and sometimes I wanted to question what Allen Carr was saying, and of course you can't argue with a book!

Instead I went to one of the one-day workshops - that was 16 months ago and I haven't smoked since.

Further details here - you can even do it in Sheffield!

http://www.allencarrseasyway.co.uk/index.asp?PageID=89

I'm glad this thread's been bumped, there are a lot of newer forummers who won't have seen it. :)

A few months ago there were a rash of stop-smoking threads and I got sick of the sound of my own voice going 'Allen Carr Allen Carr Allen Carr!'. Posters would always come out with the line that it's really hard however you do it, 'no it's not no it's not!!' and it always takes enormous willpower 'no it doesn't no it doesn't!!!' It is frustrating when you've been through the experience trying to persuade people that it doesn't necessarily have to be torture. It's a pity it doesn't work out in every case, but when it does work it is so painless it's incredible. I think at least people should try Allen Carr first. Why aim to do it the hard way?

Elvis's death anniversary in August was my five year mark. I still can't believe it's been this easy. :)

I'm glad this thread's been bumped, there are a lot of newer forummers who won't have seen it. :)

A few months ago there were a rash of stop-smoking threads and I got sick of the sound of my own voice going 'Allen Carr Allen Carr Allen Carr!'. Posters would always come out with the line that it's really hard however you do it, 'no it's not no it's not!!' and it always takes enormous willpower 'no it doesn't no it doesn't!!!' It is frustrating when you've been through the experience trying to persuade people that it doesn't necessarily have to be torture. It's a pity it doesn't work out in every case, but when it does work it is so painless it's incredible. I think at least people should try Allen Carr first. Why aim to do it the hard way?

Elvis's death anniversary in August was my five year mark. I still can't believe it's been this easy. :)

It is indeed very difficult getting over to people how incredibly easy it can be by reading the Allen Carr book, purdyamos.

One mate just the other week said to me that I couldn't have been 'properly addicted' if it was so easy (me, the thirty a day Embassy smoker, 40 on a weekend sometimes, last smoke of the day in bed, first smoke of the day in bed) :gag:

Not properly addicted eh :roll:

Anyone else been successful with this book? How's everyone going on with being stopped? I've still not touched a cigarette since the end of January and have no desire to! I'm well impressed with it.
i'm still stopped smoking i read the allen carr book in september 2006 and when i'd read the last page i had my last fag , i'd tried lots of other stuff chewing gum/patches/losenges/( zyban blimey nearly drove me crazy ) and i had smoked for over 40 years so if i did it i'm sure many others can , i do sometimes feel like a fag but as it says in the book its not going to be just one more i would be hooked again so no fags again for me , just to add in my opinion for this book to work as it did for me ,its important that you must WANT to stop and make sure all fags/ashtrays are gone from the house ,if theres non there you cant smoke em can you ? good luck give it a try the book only cost me about a fiver but its saved me a fortune up to now and i feel much healthier as well .

It is indeed very difficult getting over to people how incredibly easy it can be by reading the Allen Carr book, purdyamos.

One mate just the other week said to me that I couldn't have been 'properly addicted' if it was so easy (me, the thirty a day Embassy smoker, 40 on a weekend sometimes, last smoke of the day in bed, first smoke of the day in bed) :gag:

Not properly addicted eh :roll:

One of his key points is of course that heavy smokers find it easier to stop than the 'social smokers'. So much of his approach is counterintuitive and sounds paradoxical but it works!

• 1 month later...

Funny this thread should pop-up today...

I've been a non-smoker for exactly 4 years at 18:00 tonight thanks to Allen Carr's book.

Keep trying - You'll get there eventually! :)

-------------------------

Three years, eleven months, four weeks, two days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 50 seconds. 29217 cigarettes not smoked, saving £7,070.52. Life saved: 14 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes.

got half way through his book and decided there and then that i did not want to smoke again....... simple, i just quit, no withdrawel pangs no cravings , nothing, cant explain how a book can do that but it did, tried to quit before using patches and failed miserably read a book and suceeded:D

Archived