Mobile Phone insurance is a con!

I'm just writing to alert people who have their mobile phone insured by Singlepoint Cover Me insurance.

I had my phone nicked from Auto-World car showroom on abbydale road and because the phone was in a car, they are claiming it's not covered.

They won't acknowledge that the car was in a locked showroom and not on the street.

After delving into their small print, it seams your phone isn't covered if the loss or theft is PREVENTABLE or if it's left unattended in a public place, oh and by the way, they class EVERYWHERE as a public place!

The guy on the phone even told me that "when you wake up in a morning, your bedroom is classed as a public place"

So basically if you lose it anywhere, your not covered!

I just want to warn you to cancel or at least check what your police covers you for, as most of the small print actually means your phones not covered for very much at all.

Oh! and the final insult is i still have to pay out for the policy at £8 a month even though i have NO PHONE.

If i cancel my policy they will stop investigating my claim, because i am contesting it.

UNBELIVEABLE!!!

These insurance companies make you sick!

I know from both personal experience that singlepoint/phones4U are utter sh|t as soon as you've bought the phone - they don't want to know! They operate independently, which means you have to call up their rediculously poor customer services department in order to get anything sorted.

I got screwed on the insurance aswell, as did a friend of mine. Not only is it overpriced, and rarely will they pay out, they also have a high excess (£50 on my old phone).

I'm now with Orange, and have their own insurance. I'm very impressed, they get a new phone out to you the same day, no questions asked. They also cover water damage, (which is what I got screwed on by singlepoint). I know a number of people that have lost/broken their phones and had no problems... oh and there's no excess!!

Guest costessey

i believe if you open a bank account with Lloyds TSB, your mobile is covered......only 3rd hand info

Update!

I went down to trading standards yesterday and spoke to someone who says i have a decent claim, he advised i ask for a copy of the TAC and inform them i will be apealing again.

When i called singlepoint insurance to ask for TAC, i ran through it all again, incase i got a friendlier person, she spoke to manager and they overturned the denial!!!!!

So i'm happy at last but it shows that as soon as you mention trading standards, they crap themselves.

Still feel abit peeved as to why they couldn't have done this on the first phone call.

and i think i shall still write a letter of complain about the way this whole thing was handled.

Hopefully phone will arrive today.

• 8 years later...

I went into my local Vodafone store at the weekend to see when I am due an upgrade on my phone. The advisor looked into my current contract to find out if I can and what I was paying so much for my current phone etc, and I discovered that I have been paying insurance that I never even asked for or agreed to. I upgraded my current phone two years ago via a call from Vodafone and was sent my phone through a courier. I never received anything in writing, ie a contract or an insurance policy. I contacted Vodafone this morning via an online conversation and asked them to explain why I've been paying insurance which I never asked for and they just fobbed me off by saying I should have brought this to their attention within the first month of my contract, but if I didn't ask for this how could I?:huh: I asked them for proof of a policy, the date when it was taken out and a policy number but they just ignored my demands, so instead gave me a phone number for an insurance company called Lifestyle Services which is constantly engaged and when I try to access their web site it takes me straight to the Vodafone web site:rant: Insurance onbudsman and cancelling my direct debit was mentioned too which they took offence to, so if I don't have a written contract surely I can cancel and go to another provider? Has anyone else had problems with Vodafone? :help:

They class leaving it in a public place as putting it down in a public place and walking off. If you'd have just said you had it while you were out in your pocket and you checked and it wasn't there, not admitted leaving it unattended in a public place they would have paid out!

i believe if you open a bank account with Lloyds TSB, your mobile is covered......only 3rd hand info

You pay a monthly fee for the account. This gives you mobile phone insurance, car breakdown cover, holiday insurance and credit/bank/store card cover.

Archived