Magnet pub in Southey

------------

Hi okismoki, Now your spot on its come back to me soon as i saw your

thread and a big thanks.

Although i live on southey hill myself in the 70/80 it was bottom end

where i lived passed that phone box on the right as the bus goes down.

Thanks mate.

You will know old Doris Lawrence and the Palfreymans then????

They lived on the "Hill" near where you used to live,also the Gillot family....

Hi,Bryan,i worked with you at riley's,i remember when you started there,also in1971 ,i got a lift with with you from the "troway" cafe on the M1,down to park royal,i was on my way to visit the ex-landlady of the noah"s ark,intake(riley"s drivers local)nancy and husband george in surbiton.You had a bloke with you ,who was retired from daniel doncasters.I was visiting from canada at the time.cheers clydesdale.(sooty)

• 4 years later...
whilst clearing my mum in laws house (departed last saturday bless her) yesterday came across a lot of old photographs, includedin these were some snaps of the outside and inside, my fater in law always used to stand at the top end of the bar near the poolroom (this used to be the take away off license bit) anyone remeber him, alf walton.

I'm writing a book on Sheffield pubs and if you (or anyone) has any pictures of this pub I could use please pm or email me sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Thanks

---------- Post added 28-04-2016 at 21:21 ----------

Here 's two of the pics from 1950 coach trip for Sheffield Wednesday football match. I am there with many of the locals who visited the Magnet pub. Thanks to "skippy" for showing me how to do the photos. I am sat at the feet of a bookie. Maybe its your dad. My dad and uncles and grandad are also in the photos. hope it brings back good memories JACK SYDNEY

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach2.jpg

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach1.jpg

Hi- I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs- would you be happy for me to use this picture? pm me or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

• 2 weeks later...
I used to go in the Magnet occasionaly on the way to my girlfriends at the time she lived on Dryden Rd,you could buy anything in there if they didnt have it it would be there next day.

That's what you call service :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all , i used to go in the Magnet in the early 70,s when quite a few Bikers went in , i used to ride out with Jack Frost and his mate Tony also a kid called Hot Dog and i remember Jesse as he had a bike with a sidecar. We used to go down to the Penguin to see the topless gogo dancers but remember when it was Might Melvin some night and we would sit on the floor and cheer him on . Sometimes we would ride down to the Sportsman and chat the Irish landlords daughters up which didnt impress him much. Old Jack Frost nicknamed me Jim Dandy as i wore white jeans like some singer at the time .I had some times in the Magnet but if someone was after you you darent go in the toilet as it had a bend neat the door and youd never get out. Last time i saw Jack Tony and Janet was some years later in the Dickens in Rotherham.

Happy Days.

Jim.

i can remember knocking about around the magnet in the early 70's but was still at school,my brother ori went in he knocked about with all the bikers, i got to know most of them i started drinking in there around 77-78 and met some nice people some of which i still see.hot dog,tony,janet,little geoff .sadly jack not with us anymore i can remember going on back of his bike.was a bitter drinker in them days john smiths,magnet and sweet stout

Shame to hear about Jack. I can remember going out for a run out to Halfway and coming back and stopping at a house on Maltravers Rd , me and hot dog were starving so raided the fridge only to find a cucumber of all thing so we sat in the kitchen eating cucumber sarnies that really went well with the ale . I remember Tony having a nice chopped speed twin that got nicked. Think at that time Jack had an old Triumph and i had bought my first Jap bike and got some stick.

i went on tony's stag night we all set off from the magnet on bikes to caenby corner,stopped at a few pubs on the way,i decided to get on the back of jacks triumph at one time he was stood on the seat,i changed bikes on the way back lucky for me.jack came off,we all stopped picked him and the bike up and carried on our way.hot dog still biking usualy bump into him at newark auto jumble,tony still got a bike and janet i see most weeks as she drinks in one of the pubs i go in