Club Chicago (Live jazz in the sixties)

Pete_S

I used to go to a jazz club round about 1960. It was called Club Chicago and it was held at The Sunshine Cafe on Orchard Street on Wednesday nights I think.

The regular band was "The Ken Louis Jazzmen" - four brothers called Tindall if my memory serves me right and Dave Howitt on piano.

There was no bar as I recall, it was just a good jazz night with guest musicians sitting in.

After a few months it was closed down because of fire regulations. The venue was changed to the Tower Ballroom at Pitsmoor and top bands (Alex Welsh, Terry Lightfoot, and Mike Cotton) were engaged. Sadly it never got going, probably too far out of town, but it was good while it lasted.

Just wondered if anyone remembered it.

Hi pete-s, regarding the Sunshine Cafe on Orchard Street as a venue for jazz, I remember going there to hear Eddie Thompson, the piano player, sometime around the late 50s. It wasn't called any special name though, as far as I recall, just the Sunshine Cafe. Actually that sounds better than 'Chicago Jazz Club', dont you think? Jazz at the Sunshine Cafe, great days, Jazz, Booze, and Birds, in no particular order and plenty of 'em/it.

Especially at two bob a pint !

Some other jazz venues I remember:

Trades Hall, Charles Street

Punchbowl, Hurlfield Road (Crescent Jazz Band)

White Lion, London Road (Royd Johnson ?)

Springvale, Commonside (Mick Shore's Tuxedo Band)

My claim to fame - I once played with Mick Shore (two numbers !!!)

I once went to the Springvale, I think it was the one on the right hand side in the dip wasn't it? Bit of a students pub, late 50's, two guys, one on Soprano, the other on Clarinet. A bit like Bechet and Mezz. Dont know who they were, but they were very good.

Other jazz pubs that spring to mind were the Black Swan, Snig Hill, up the stairs to the side, small upstairs room. Barry Whitworth et al.

Another pub on Shalesmoor, opposite the old Roscoe Cinema, cant remember the name, got some fairly big names there one time.

These were in the late 50's.

All the Grand Hotel band would sometime play a bit of jazz at that boozer opposite the old Rotherham Baths, Ray Hollingsworth, Bunny Harris, Len Stewart, Tony Oxley.

• 1 year later...

Hello Texas and Pete S, I too went to see Eddie Thompson at the Sunshine Cafe

Eddie was the British Erroll Garner at the time, brilliant pianist.

I have an Lp of his trio with Roy Williams as guest on two tracks it was recorded

later than the Sunshine cafe gig and Eddie is less of an Erroll Garner imitater.

Do either of you remember the Maynard Ferguson Band performing above Atkinsons

Store on the Moor? Also, Thelonious Monk at the City Hall, memories are made

of this.

Archived