The other side of the coin!!

lennyfalcon

Depends how much you care about your job. Chefs dont see the customer face to face. If you ask for something and it means us going to the freezer to get it, we`ll just say were out of that particular meal and your non the wiser. I didnt care about my job it was just well paid. Didnt give a stuff aboiut the customers. Most chefs or microwave technicians dont either.

the customer is always right - i think is the term we're looking for.

NO, NO and thrice NO! :rant:

The customer is NOT always right!

That was the one phrase that was wheeled out by customers whenever they were wrong and didn't like it (I used to work in a shop). If the customer is wrong and they wheel that ol' gem out, it just makes me dig my heels in.

Absolutely. It's the same with putting ice in whisky or cider or whatever - if the customer wants it, they should get it. Though I don't suppose there's any harm in politely pointing out that they might find it tasted even better if they had the steak less well done, or the drink not chilled (whisky) or watered down (cider).

I do agree with some advice ...perhaps.

although i have advised the future ex mrs willman -she insists on well done steak. if any meat shows the slightest hint of blood it goes back.

that is her preference,to which she should be entitled.

sod what the chef wants to cook.

next time a chef orders a pint of lager & lime or cider & black someone ought to sell him a pint from the slop bucket.see how they like it.

Depends how much you care about your job. Chefs dont see the customer face to face. If you ask for something and it means us going to the freezer to get it, we`ll just say were out of that particular meal and your non the wiser. I didnt care about my job it was just well paid. Didnt give a stuff aboiut the customers. Most chefs or microwave technicians dont either.

Actually, that's a really bad attitude ! LOL...

Sorry to be so blunt but... it is. :P

At the end of the day, it's down to the owner/manager to sort it out. In the places that I've worked, we usually are very strict with closing times. (Yes, there'll be sneaky sods who will try to worm their way, and you end up annoying them, but then there's also some nice customers who will support you in your closing time.) '"Last orders" is 11:30pm, closing time is 12 midnight. If front of house take an order at 11:31pm, we get told off by the kitchen staff, and it bounces back ! (Ok, maybe this can happen cos the owner is also the chef. ;) ) I'm not kidding. We don't serve drinks either. At the end of the day, it's down to the front of house staff. They need to mean business when they mean business.

Rules are rules. Don't change it for anybody else. Also, no customers even comes in asking for things that we don't have. No-one would be dumb enough to walk into a pizza place to ask for fries, right ? You can change small things to make it better for the customers, but I don't think there's that many demanding customers which would push that limit really. However, I have seen some cheeky customers.

Monday's Specials. A, B, and C.

Customer: "Can we possibly change the A into a T please ?"

(NO, and that's why they are specials ! Cos we've bought them, and we've stocked them, and we would like to serve it today to make use of it. Else, just choose the a la carte menu.) :rolleyes:

[Added] Oh, sometimes I also relay back customer's comments too about how good the food were. Most customers are quite appreciative, and they can taste the difference. I've tasted some chain restaurants which had excellent chefs in their kitchen too. I recall cafe uno having one of those chef (which blew me away with the small personal touches to the same dish), but sadly, the standard is not there any more, and you can tell the difference.

next time a chef orders a pint of lager & lime or cider & black someone ought to sell him a pint from the slop bucket.see how they like it.

:hihi:

Well, I sure hope that the chef who ordered the pint can taste the difference !

I think those who are foodie would know their favourite dish inside and out. The good chefs would stay in this business the longest, cos their standards are always the same. (Which is quite hard to maintain really.) So, a tip for the typical diner, choose your restaurant wisely ! Or if you want to try new things, then go for the more reputable restaurants to begin with.

I was a waitress for 4 years and I think some of the comments above are a little uneccesary. If people want their steak burnt or this with that, they are entitled to ask, they are paying for a meal after all.

The only thing I used to REALLY HATE was when people would be nasty to ME about something totally out of my control, like "15 pounds for a bottle of chianti? you must be joking me!" - I'd always have to bite my tongue from saying 'sure, let me discount it for you, while I'm at it, I'll give myself a pay rise eh!' - dont complain to the wrong person!

Yeh, well, with such moany people, it becomes a challenge then to make sure that their dinner goes smoothly, and a great big smile at the end of the night ! Yes... we kill them with kindness, and they ALWAYS smiles as they walk out of the door. RESULTS ! Yay !!! :hihi:

Actually, sometimes I'm a little bit sarky back. lol.

They don't mind...well...the ones with a sense of humour anyhow.

"15 pounds for a bottle of chianti? you must be joking me!"

ME: "Well, it is Italian, they're a bit pricy. Would you like the house red instead ? " :P

"Oh no, no, no. This is fine."

Kekeke... (some people are way too proud).

NO, NO and thrice NO! :rant:

The customer is NOT always right!

That was the one phrase that was wheeled out by customers whenever they were wrong and didn't like it (I used to work in a shop). If the customer is wrong and they wheel that ol' gem out, it just makes me dig my heels in.

customers are very often wrong. in fact incredibly wrong and thick and arrogant and incompetent

customers are very often wrong. in fact incredibly wrong and thick and arrogant and incompetent

that funny thats what we customers think of people who provide services to us.

i often wonder how people who work in the "service" industries treat others when they become the customer?

as an example,family member -shop counter worker -customer "plaster boards cheaper @ B@Q than at your place", family member "well take yourself off to B&Q then,its only 5 minutes away"

famly member buying a car " can you price match that '05 car with the one i've seen @ Direct Cars" .

kettle & pot springs to mind.

Archived