The other side of the coin!!

lennyfalcon

Whilst we are on about wine......

How about the practice of putting the cheapest wine on at the second cheapest price. It's human nature is not to appear as a cheapscate and therefore they get max profit out of us anyway.

AND - Buying croissants in the supermarket and reheating in an oven to make out they are home made.

AND - we all know the price of wine in Somerfield so how do they explain the 100%-200%, no make that 300%! price hike for taking a cork out and providing glasses.

any more sharp practice out there?

...so how do they explain the 100%-200%, no make that 300%! price hike for taking a cork out and providing glasses.

If I ran a restaurant and found people would pay the inflated prices, why wouldn't I sell at that inflated price?

oh and heres another. with a meal like say a breakfast that has multiple items, customers cant just have what is provided they have to go "can i not have sausage but have extra bacon and can i have no mushrooms but extra eggs and can the bacon be crispy and can i have scrambled eggs not frIed and can i have the goddam moon on a stick and while youre at it can...." COOK IT YOUR SELF!!!!!!!!!!

and i know the reply to this will be from all you weiners goin "well surely the customer is paying and they can have what they like and etc etc." well youre probably right but guess what?? i want to moan.

ps i do love my job really. its thanks to customers like this that i find amusement everyday :D

Actually, with regards to wines and inflated prices. It is the overhead costs as always. Do you notice that some restaurants will keep the same prices for 2-3 years on the same bottles of wines ? The prices of old red creeps up, you still see similar pricing for the wines. Has anybody ever noticed that ? Some places will update their wine list accordingly to the market. Obviously, don't go to a Gordon Ramsey restaurant if you want reasonable prices.

I think the higher-end you go, the more likely you'll get a sommelier as well, which also pushes costs up. I'm not kidding but, the further South you go, the prices are more reasonable, and the quality of food is higher !

With regards to croissants and decent food. I think you should accept the fact that, a lot of restaurants in the North do not cook from fresh ingredients, but from things that you can buy from Makro say. So croissants or no croissants... at least be mindful of this is how it is up here in the North ! I dare say things are much fresher, and there's more of an ethic down South. PLUS, at least the eaters know it as well. :love::thumbsup: If people are more picky of their food, then at least this drives the restaurants to increase their standard of quality !

Come on people push ! If there's no demand for fresh food, then no-one will supply it.

AND - Buying croissants in the supermarket and reheating in an oven to make out they are home made.

any more sharp practice out there?

Actually, you'll find a lot of chain hotels do the same. Unless you go to the higher-end of the market, I doubt that they will employ their own baker.

99.99% of the time the customer is WRONG;)

The other day, an old lady put their teapot under the hot water spout, and then, when the water had stopped, peered into the pot , turns round the me and goes "This tea is a funny colour Pour it down the drain and get me another!!!" I know you have to pretend they are right and smile and be lovely but:rant: :rant: For God's Sake! It was a Tetley teabag and Pure Hot Water...

Another lady had a go at me because her bum was too big for the seats...:confused: :confused:

Actually, with regards to wines and inflated prices. It is the overhead costs as always. Do you notice that some restaurants will keep the same prices for 2-3 years on the same bottles of wines ? !

QUOTE]

Some years ago we found an Indian place in Middleton (Nr Manchester) that had Chateau Neuf du Pap on the wine list at supermarket price! No one else seemed to be drinking it. We went back every Friday night till we'd cleared the lot out - it must have been at least 2 cases!

that funny thats what we customers think of people who provide services to us.

i often wonder how people who work in the "service" industries treat others when they become the customer?

speaking for myself i can say that unless people are incompetent or their company is incompetent i treat people in the service industry how i would've wished to be treated.

how do you treat people in the service industry?

You're not going to like me for saying this, but, I feel sorry for the people in the service industry because I have been there, done that. So sometimes, I even help stack the dishes ready to be taken away. Until my friends look at me weirdly. :loopy::hihi:

I would give them a knowing look, or ask about their day.

speaking for myself i can say that unless people are incompetent or their company is incompetent i treat people in the service industry how i would've wished to be treated.

how do you treat people in the service industry?

exactly as i like to be treated.

i don't apportion blame for loss of broadband to the individual who answers the phone,for example - but i do trust them to act accordingly when i do speak to them.

when i ask for a big mac with no pickle - thats what i want. not a chicken burger 'cos they think it's better for me.

if i want well done steak then the job of the chef is to provide it.

now if i wanted a beef wellington & it wasn't on the menu,i could appreciate the chef getting the face on and refusing to provide it.

Archived