Theft from cars - Police

• 5 months later...

Police are warning drivers to take steps and keep their property secure and out of sight when out and about in their vehicles.

During the recent spell of warm weather five incidents have been reported where thieves have targeted drivers whilst either stationary at traffic lights or stood in traffic queues. Opportunist thieves have simply opened the car door or put their hand through an open window and snatched items left on the passenger seat.

In other words put your stuff on the floor and keep the passenger door locked and the window up. Personally I lock all my doors, even the drivers.

I am originally from Liverpool I used to leave my car unlocked all the time it never got pinched.

The day after I bought a decent one however it was pinched .

Round here they like the knackered cars too. Lost count of how many times they broke into my metro, never managed to steal it though, hahaha dimwits.

I've always had this fear of some idiot climbing in the passenger side whilst i'm sat at traffic lights or something. It was a dream I had after my son was born and i've kept my doors locked whilst driving ever since. The things kids do to you :rolleyes::hihi:

Police are warning drivers to take steps and keep their property secure and out of sight when out and about in their vehicles.

During the recent spell of warm weather five incidents have been reported where thieves have targeted drivers whilst either stationary at traffic lights or stood in traffic queues. Opportunist thieves have simply opened the car door or put their hand through an open window and snatched items left on the passenger seat.

These young lads stealing from the manor top are aged roughly 15-21 could be easily caught.

I know of a bloke popping into the GT news at manor top the other day and having his wallet stolen by a male youth as he hopped onto his bicycle, the lad pulled it out of his back pocket and ran across the road, check the cctv from 8 days ago and the problem is solved.

The bloke reported it to the police whom were "too busy", if your not too busy could you check the cctv please SYP and get my mates wallet, £35 and cancelled cards back.

I would say thank you in advance but i'll wait.

The thing about petty crimes is that you never really here them reported, because no-one reports them!

Maybe people should be pro-active in using a thread to report thefts. It seems like you get spates from time to time but you never really know whats happening more than a few streets away.

It might make thieves lives more difficult if we all communicated where and when they were striking.

Problem is that if they can't see anything on display the theifs assume you have hidden it so break in anyway to look for it :rolleyes:

Those with sat navs who leave the holder in the window and just asking for trouble. Although how many of you with sat nav holders stuck to the windscreen wipe off that tell tale circle mark the holder leaves behind telling everyone that you have one.

I agree with this:

The thing about petty crimes is that you never really here them reported, because no-one reports them!

Maybe people should be pro-active in using a thread to report thefts. It seems like you get spates from time to time but you never really know whats happening more than a few streets away.

It might make thieves lives more difficult if we all communicated where and when they were striking.

A purposely posted thread is a good idea, where everyone can post if they've had something broken into or stolen.

I like the story about the bloke who got so fed up of having his car broken into, he put a big sign in the window that read "NOTHING OF VALUE IS LEFT IN THIS VEHICLE".

Then one day he came back to find the window smashed in and a note next to it that read "JUST CHECKING".

Archived