Sheffield Memories - Compiled By L.S.Dunone

seriessix

Mantaspook...that made me smile!

I think Im off to get this book as it'll be a great pressie for someone. Anyone know how quickly/reliable the 'lulu' (surely no relation to the real one!!??) site is for delivery?

Cheers seriessix for a quick pressie off my list..I'll need a sequel for next year please.

RE: LULU.

I opted for the non-express delivery option and was quoted ‘delivery before 25-12-06’ the book arrived seven days later. The website quotes all the prices in dollars, the book plus P & P came to £9.02.

I have studied the matter and can confirm that £9.02 would only buy a small container of nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") that would leave you paralytic for 22 minutes whereas Mr Dunones book represents much better value for money, even when you take into account potential dry cleaning bills whilst losing control of your bodily functions, its still only a shilling per laugh.

My copy has finally returned from my mother in law, although the length of copper pipe is still missing, which is a shame as I became quite attached to it over the years - the superglue website being no help whatsoever.

Anyone know how quickly/reliable the 'lulu' (surely no relation to the real one!!??) site is for delivery?

Cheers seriessix for a quick pressie off my list..I'll need a sequel for next year please.

Thank you!

The average is just over a week.

The sequel (Volume II) has begun....:)

A Very Sheffield Christmas

Dear Sir,

I'd like to share an old tale (no pun intended) with the readers, but before I embark (whoops, there I go again) on this story I first need to render some background details.

Many years ago a baby girl was left abandoned in a Ford Cortina on Abbeydale Road, however the hapless police did not notice the child and the rusting car was eventually taken to a scrap dealers in Hillsborough. Here it sat ignored at the back of the yard. This poor child would of starved if wasn’t for a couple of Alsatians that roamed the yard at night barking maniacally at anything that moved or made a sound. They shared their food with the child and over the months and years reared it as their own. Eventually the inevitable happened, one Christmas a customer looking for a pair of Cortina doors (a present for his wife) discovered her living on the festering back seat of the car.

News quickly spread of this amazing story, it even made the front page of the Sheffield Informer, the story included portrait pictures of the two dogs, Sabre and Kim. The child was named Holly and went to live in a house with a kindly, cosy local couple.

Holly kept the news paper cutting and had the two pictures of Sabre and Kim framed to preserve their images forever. They sat on her bedroom window sill; they were the only real parents she’d ever known.

Her first year living with people in a house had been a difficult experience. On the first anniversary of her discovery in the scrap yard, as she gazed at the images of Sabre and Kim, Holly felt sadder and more alone than ever.

That’s when she decided that she’d go and find her two surrogate canine parents and spend Christmas with them.

To be Continued....

Archived