Greystones Road Shops

JTJH

• 7 months later...

I can remember the sweet shop and the faded sweet boxes in the window, it was just opposite the school on Greystones Road and a Mrs Scotson used to run it. There was a greengrocers shop, I cannot recall the name of the family who owned it but I seem to recall a Judy Bird going to Greystones School so she may have been the same family.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Mrs Scotson we used to go there all the time. I remember the greengrocers and Judy Bird but I didnt know her I think she was a couple of years older than me.

I remember a Mr Taylor who ran a grocers on the corner of Ranby Rd I think it was just up from Mrs Scotson.

One of my best friends dad ran the fishmongers shop if you remember that.

Its quite upsetting actually to think it used to be a thriving shopping centre and now there is nothing left.

Hi Powerage - the fishmongers was Jacksons. Do you remember the cobblers shop near the bottom of Greystones Road - Dixons? Prior to that he had a shop on Ecclesall Road near the bottom of Walton Road. He told me that there used to be a dozen cobblers shops between the old Arcade and Hunters Bar, but that wasn't yesterday!

Hi Powerage - the fishmongers was Jacksons. Do you remember the cobblers shop near the bottom of Greystones Road - Dixons? Prior to that he had a shop on Ecclesall Road near the bottom of Walton Road. He told me that there used to be a dozen cobblers shops between the old Arcade and Hunters Bar, but that wasn't yesterday!

I dont remember the cobblers that must have been before my time. I remember there being another sweetshop/grocers near the bottom which closed about 73/74 ish. There were loads of sweet shops when I think about it there was also one on Tullibardine near the school.

The shops all started going when they opened Challenge! does anyone remember it before it changed names it is currently Somerfields.

My mum got a part time job there when it opened and I had a saturday job there at 16 until I left school.

Hi again Powerage, I used to take my son to the sweetshop on Tulli. every school morning at one time; and my wife worked part-time on the cheese counter at Challenge! Do you remember Fretwell Downings bakers that was just on Rustlings Rd? They haven't been there for years but I believe they are still in business.

Hi again Powerage, I used to take my son to the sweetshop on Tulli. every school morning at one time; and my wife worked part-time on the cheese counter at Challenge! Do you remember Fretwell Downings bakers that was just on Rustlings Rd? They haven't been there for years but I believe they are still in business.

Yes I certainly remember Fretwell Downings my dad used to buy different flavoured battenburgs from there for our Sunday tea they had a lovely chocolate one, they had the most gorgeous cakes. I think they are still going but are no longer at Greystones what a pitty!

• 1 year later...

The sweet shop & grocers opposite the school on Tulli was McKegg's (my dads shop).

Do you remember the other shops on Greystones? Starting at the Ecclesall Rd end by Blair Athol Rd.

The Chippy, Mrs Deeleys (Hardware), Stan Herriotts Garage (I think his son Steve took over). Opposite there is/was the cottages where to the left of the row was the cobblers shop, (sorry but I can't remember his name), then there was an old man who sold newspapers (I recall his name was Dan Dabbs). Then the PWD depot.

The off licence on the corner of Ranby Rd. I can't be sure of his name at the moment, but I think it was John Willie Hargreaves. On the opposite corner of Ranby was Mr Peats butchers. I remember the greengrocers as being owned by the Armitages, then the bakers, a haberdashery shop and Barry Jackson (fishmonger), Thompson (chemists) and Mrs Scotsons.

Reading your posts certainly brought back some memories :)

Do you remember Fretwell Downings bakers that was just on Rustlings Rd? They haven't been there for years but I believe they are still in business.

If I understand correctly Fretwell-Downings moved into computers and I think have or had an office block on the old quarry near the bottom of Greystones Rd.

I occasionally served Mrs. FD (as her chauffeur called her) in the bakery I worked in in the 90s.

Archived