Greystones Road Shops

JTJH

My father in law used to work at the co-op oppositethe Highcliffe. It was one of the typical shops where they put your money into an overhead container and pulled the handle which sent it off to a cashier sat in a glass fronted booth. She then sorted out your change and fired it back to you.

I seem to think it had closed by the time we used to make a weekly trip upto the Highcliffe to the Folk Club to see the likes of Billy Connelly, Gerry Rafferty and Ralph Mctell etc in the late 60's

~Does anybody remember a Knitting wool shop further down Greystones Road, possibly run by a Mrs. Clarke? Would be about the mid - late 50's

Hi again Powerage, I used to take my son to the sweetshop on Tulli. every school morning at one time; and my wife worked part-time on the cheese counter at Challenge! Do you remember Fretwell Downings bakers that was just on Rustlings Rd? They haven't been there for years but I believe they are still in business.

Fretwell Downing was eventually run by the 2 sons. One was into computing and set up the computer business next to Somerfields, the other developed the food side into a catering concern for 'posh do's'.

Gordonb....do you remember a lady that worked behind the bar called Dora?

She lived next to my Grandparents on Greystones Road.

I remember Dora. She had to be watched . She always used to try to clear your drinks off before they were finished ! Mind you she used to serve us when we were about 15 so I can't complain really. Was that when Brian (Scarlet ) O'Hara was the landlord ?

• 6 months later...

hi folks i was bornat143 greystones rd next door to the highcliff the shop at the front of us was a sweet shop owned by underhills who had a newsagents shop on ecclsall rd next was a wool shop and then a bread shop last one was a green grocers owned by bert wilson and his wife bert did a local milk round as well across the road were some garages owned by malthouses the builders,

struthe that takes me back a bit 60yrs ago since i arrived in the world.

Archived