Greystones Road Shops

JTJH

My mother Pat was the manageress of the Victoria wine shop on Rustlings rd, back in the 70's - 80's, i remember going to Fretwell Downings for cakes etc, & i remember the sweetshop opposite my old school, Graystones, & i remember a sweet shop on the corner of Rustlings rd & Ecclesall rd.

If I remember correctly, was there not a murder close by the Greystones road shops, and the young couple living in one of the shops were convicted? This would be about 1984.

The murder was at the then Freezer food centre on Carrington Road, which is now an interior design shop across from plumbing merchants. Fretwell Downings bakers truned into Vernons the bakers which has now gone :( The off license on Ranby Road was run by Pete and Sue, think Sue did one, so Pete closed the shop. Scotsons was known for giving extra sweets and was a proper traditional sweet shop "quarter of chewy nuts please" but unfortunately nearer the end due to her age and eventual death the shop closed, which was a shame as i'm sure it will still make a lot of kids happy. I too can remember the butchers, fruit shop, wool shop and fishmongers, which at one time became a hair dressers and a sandwich shop? Used to get a rabbit's tail or foot from the butchers when I was a kid. I have fond memories of Greystones Video, always had the latest video games and we could rent 18 cert videos when we were 12, then pop into Rounds news for some Mr Freezies. And I remember Sanchez's shop as we used to get our plastic sledges from there.

i also remember something about the lady that was murdered, i remember that she was called Pat, i used to deliver her barley wine to her from my mothers shop, & she always gave me & my brother a tip, we even got a remote control toy speed boat once.

Archived