What happend to Beatties the Model Shop?

King Rat

What happend to Beatties the model shop?

I remember them being really popular up until the early 90's, anyone know what happend?

Is there anything around now to replace these stores?

Is there any good Toy Shop's in UK anymore?

Is there any need for Toy shops such as Beatties & Redgates anymore?

Are kids today more interested in Playstation & X Box these days?

Discuss - Beatties RIP

I'd completely forgotten what Maplins used to be before they took over Beatties at the Peace Gardens. I do remember Beatties with fond memories though. It was mostly model trains, cars and other games wasn't it?

Not sure if there are any proper toy stores around these days apart from Toys R Us and Toymaster in Atkinsons. Hmph! :roll:

There's Sharpes model & train shop on Attercliffe (there's another one near to it but its name escapes me)

And the good model & train shop upstairs in Meadowhall at the entrance to The Oasis

Not seen the Model Shop in Meadowhall, the others on Attercliffe I have been to but I personally didn't rate 'em., Not got the selection and seem a bit old manish to me.

I do agree the beatties on Pinstone St was excellent much better than the Meadowhall branch, those places were always busy from what I remember! just can't understand why they went bust? ?

Not seen the Model Shop in Meadowhall, the others on Attercliffe I have been to but I personally didn't rate 'em., Not got the selection and seem a bit old manish to me.

I do agree the beatties on Pinstone St was excellent much better than the Meadowhall branch, those places were always busy from what I remember! just can't understand why they went bust? ?

About 4 times a year Doncaster racecourse hold a toy & train fair at the exhibition centre.

It's about £2 or £3 to get in witn 400+ tables/ dealers.

that's usually worth a trip out one Sunday.

It's sponsoed by D&J fairs i seem to remember........