The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

Hmmm. I wouldn't say all Audi's. Q7's are hard to drive recklessly.
Yeah, but as 4x4s go, they are rather large...

...so according to Justin, they`re also a pain in the a**e if you`re behind one and can`t see through it, that is also a road safety issue, for instance when trying to pull out of a side road and there`s one parked right on the corner. Or if you`re behind one and you can`t see what`s happening on the road ahead. ;)

Own a Q7? Off with your head! :D

Looking at your tag line it seems that you have an agenda?

In the free world we have the right to choose. I choose a 4 x 4 because I shoot, have dogs, traverse land which needs four wheel drive et al.

As I said in a previous post I have been driving off road in the military in extreme conditions over 30 years. I think I have become quite proficient.

I resat an advance driving course 2 years ago and passed so I think that should answer your question.

By the way, if my vehicle of choice were a van, mini bus or even an lgv all of which weigh more than a 4x4 when laden,would you be making the same comment or is it just 4x4 drivers you don't like?

I don`t like driving behind trucks or minbuses or whatever, but at least I can console myself with the fact the drivers have got to be in them for the job they do. My mate`s got a big 4WD pick up for his job, but he only drives it because he needs it for towing and stuff, ironically he`d rather drive a Ford Focus like mine ! I don`t thinks 4X4s should be outlawed, but I do think they, like all big heavy vehicles, should pay more (even more) road tax. Basically, if I had the choice, I`d rather be run into by a small light car than a big heavy one, thanks very much.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 17:01 ----------

Hmmm. I wouldn't say all Audi's. Q7's are hard to drive recklessly.

I wouldn`t say all German cars were driven badly, I`ve never said that. What I do say, and I`ve proved it objectively, is that a higher proportion of German cars (than non German cars) are driven more aggressively.

Edited by Justin Smith

They`re also a pain in the a**e if you`re behind one and can`t see through it, that is also a road safety issue, for instance when trying to pull out of a side road and there`s one parked right on the corner. Or if you`re behind one and you can`t see what`s happening on the road ahead. That said, people with blacked out windows are also guilty of restricting other drivers sight lines.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 13:41 ----------

So, what you`re saying is you`re not bothered about other people`s lives ?

Is that not just a little, well, selfish ?

I am bothered about other people`s lives, though I would admit I`m even more bothered about the lives of members of my own family, which is why I`d only smash up that pilllock`s car if he actually killed one of my own family. That said, I`d still be pretty upset if he killed anyone else, particularly if I saw him do it.

The problem with the aforementioned cretin driver of that R8 is he has no imagination. I`ll bet he never ever asks himself "what could possibly go wrong here"......

And no, equating slower drivers with those who drive too fast and aggressively isn`t the same thing at all. A slower driver may be frustrating to be behind, but they don`t usually kill people.

My bold. You are driving too close. It's called the garage door effect. If you drop back a few feet, adjust your position in the road you will have a greater field of vision.

I have a spare copy of the road craft handbook for sale if you like.

Everything you have described can be attributed to any vehicle on the road

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 19:13 ----------

I don`t like driving behind trucks or minbuses or whatever, but at least I can console myself with the fact the drivers have got to be in them for the job they do. My mate`s got a big 4WD pick up for his job, but he only drives it because he needs it for towing and stuff, ironically he`d rather drive a Ford Focus like mine ! I don`t thinks 4X4s should be outlawed, but I do think they, like all big heavy vehicles, should pay more (even more) road tax. Basically, if I had the choice, I`d rather be run into by a small light car than a big heavy one, thanks very much.

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 17:01 ----------

I wouldn`t say all German cars were driven badly, I`ve never said that. What I do say, and I`ve proved it objectively, is that a higher proportion of German cars (than non German cars) are driven more aggressively.

They already do!

Today on Abbeydale road a taxi driver in a silver BMW or Merc (didn't pay close attention) barged his way from a side road cutting myself and an oncoming bus right up. He even had the nerve to stare right at me menacingly as he drove tightly around me.

You are driving too close. It's called the garage door effect. If you drop back a few feet, adjust your position in the road you will have a greater field of vision.

I am aware of that, but it`s not quite that simple is it ? If you drop back too far you just get other drivers pulling in front of you all the time and the fact is it doesn`t matter how far back you drop (within reason) you still won`t get as clear a view as if there was a normal height car [without blacked out windows....] in front of you. I do sometimes wonder whether having a vehicle which drivers behind can`t see through increases the chances of being hit from behind, I`d have thought it would.

I don't think you proved that at all, you proved that more of them on one specific stretch of motorway overtook you than you overtook.

That probably just means that the average speed (both modal and mean) is higher. But that's nothing to do with aggressive driving.

---------- Post added 27-02-2014 at 11:04 ----------

In reply to the OP - 4x4 drivers - without a shadow of doubt.

I firmly believe they cause much of the damage to road surfaces and exacerbate the pothole problem.

They should be for off road use only.

You do realise that many saloon and hatchback cars come in a 4*4 variant.

Does a wheel drive Golf cause more damage to the road than a 2 wheel drive variant?

In reply to the OP - 4x4 drivers - without a shadow of doubt.

I firmly believe they cause much of the damage to road surfaces and exacerbate the pothole problem.

They should be for off road use only.

Why does a freelander,for example, cause more damage than a 2 wheel drive car of equal weight?

I am aware of that, but it`s not quite that simple is it ? If you drop back too far you just get other drivers pulling in front of you all the time and the fact is it doesn`t matter how far back you drop (within reason) you still won`t get as clear a view as if there was a normal height car [without blacked out windows....] in front of you. I do sometimes wonder whether having a vehicle which drivers behind can`t see through increases the chances of being hit from behind, I`d have thought it would.[/quote

Once again, you would be driving too close!

So the reason you don't leave a gap between you and the vehicle in front is because other vehicles would fill the gap!

So what do you do when driving behind a van or minibus?