The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

Well, dare I say? I'm 72, female, and drive a Honda Jazz!!! Hardly dare go out now!! :)

Your opinions then. I'm the old lady driving a Honda Jazz!!

I live surrounded by country lanes. One, in particular, over about a 1 mile stretch, has poor camber on entry, quite steep bumps and hidden dips, a very narrow tight bend which is tree-lined and no means of "escape" and with no means of seeing on-coming traffic, a narrow hump-backed bridge and a T-junction. It's a quite busy road with a fair share of HGV's and not unusual to come across horse riders and farm tractors. For whatever reason it has a 50mph speed limit.

So, in that 1 mile stretch, I come to the 50mph speed sign, followed within yards with a "slow" sign, followed by a "beware horse riders" sign, followed by a "hidden dip" sign, followed by a "bad bend" sign, followed by a "public footpath" sign, followed by a T-junction sign and, in a couple of places arrows to indicate "no overtaking".

Taking all that into account and knowing I could suddenly come across a HGV and/or horse riders and/or farm tractors, I choose to drive at 40mph. I argue that in doing so, I know I'm more capable of dealing with what lies ahead and I can drive consistently without constantly accelerating and decelerating. Does that make this old, female, Honda Jazz driver a "worst driver on the road"? :(:(

I live surrounded by country lanes. One, in particular, over about a 1 mile stretch, has poor camber on entry, quite steep bumps and hidden dips, a very narrow tight bend which is tree-lined and no means of "escape" and with no means of seeing on-coming traffic, a narrow hump-backed bridge and a T-junction. It's a quite busy road with a fair share of HGV's and not unusual to come across horse riders and farm tractors. For whatever reason it has a 50mph speed limit.

So, in that 1 mile stretch, I come to the 50mph speed sign, followed within yards with a "slow" sign, followed by a "beware horse riders" sign, followed by a "hidden dip" sign, followed by a "bad bend" sign, followed by a "public footpath" sign, followed by a T-junction sign and, in a couple of places arrows to indicate "no overtaking".

Taking all that into account and knowing I could suddenly come across a HGV and/or horse riders and/or farm tractors, I choose to drive at 40mph. I argue that in doing so, I know I'm more capable of dealing with what lies ahead and I can drive consistently without constantly accelerating and decelerating. Does that make this old, female, Honda Jazz driver a "worst driver on the road"? :(:(

Yep. Probably. :D

No, driving at less than the speed limit sounds entirely reasonable in those conditions.

Speeding, by definition, is showing a lack of patience and/or aggression. How could it not be ?

My "proof" isn`t all to do with speeding on the motorway. Since December 2014 I`ve been recording the make and model of every car I see exhibiting "bleedin` hell !" driving. That is to say driving so bad one involuntarily utters "bleedin` hell !". The good news is that there isn`t actually as much of it as one would think. These days I only do about 8,000 miles a year but even so, in 7 months there have only been 20 incidents. However, 12 were Germans cars, that`s 60%. I know there`s no objective measure of aggressive driving, but just so long as I apply the same criteria to both German and non German cars that doesn't actually matter, just so long as I make some effort to be unbiased. Since German cars make up 20 to 25% of cars on the road that`s a huge imbalance, and proves they tend to be driven by more aggressive drivers. What other explanation could there be ?

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 13:49 ----------

I`m sorry I`m right.

I think you`re forgetting the words "tend to", as in the fact German cars tend to be driven more aggressively. How else would you explain the fact they`re driven over the speed limit significantly more often on the motorway and are guilty of a disproportionally high amount of the really bad aggressive driving on the roads ?

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 13:54 ----------

This may back up your observations but he driving in Bradford really is absolutely appalling. Including possibly the worst piece of driving I`ve ever seen......

And it was a German car.....

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 13:56 ----------

You think that because you either haven`t read them, or don`t know what factual / scientific basis means. As such, to be frank, I think it`s a bit pointless debating with you on this.

I have never heard so much tripe. Your factual findings are farcical. You haven't even mentioned Trabant drivers, and they are a bit nuts. What about Malaysian Hillman Hunter drivers? Bonkers, yet not on your list. And top of the tree are CJ Cyclone and his gang of merry men on bikes. All of them loons need sectioning.

Please amend your list accordingly.

No, and with your phrasing of in-depth hazard assessment of that road I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear from you of Advanced driver training in your past.

• 5 months later...

There`s a strong case that drivers in Lincolnshire are the worst in the country. I`ve read in more than one report that Lincolnshire has the most dangerous roads (as defined by the number of deaths per head of population), and I`ve also experienced Lincolnshire drivers appalling driving for myself. As an example of the chronic problem, and we`ve seen far worse but relatively rarer examples, we were driving back to Bawtry from Gainsborough, that road was one of the most dangerous in the country so they made it 50mph and spent loads of money putting average speed cameras on it. We were doing 50mph, yet were still overtaken by two cars within 5 miles ! Despite the average speed cameras ! Such is the desperation of Lincolnshire drivers to eek out an extra 5 or 10mph, gambling on the flexibility of the prosecution threshold and the expectation their speedos are fast, therefore hoping they can sneak away without a speeding ticket.......

Edited by Justin Smith