The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

Your opinions then. I'm the old lady driving a Honda Jazz!!

I live surrounded by country lanes. One, in particular, over about a 1 mile stretch, has poor camber on entry, quite steep bumps and hidden dips, a very narrow tight bend which is tree-lined and no means of "escape" and with no means of seeing on-coming traffic, a narrow hump-backed bridge and a T-junction. It's a quite busy road with a fair share of HGV's and not unusual to come across horse riders and farm tractors. For whatever reason it has a 50mph speed limit.

So, in that 1 mile stretch, I come to the 50mph speed sign, followed within yards with a "slow" sign, followed by a "beware horse riders" sign, followed by a "hidden dip" sign, followed by a "bad bend" sign, followed by a "public footpath" sign, followed by a T-junction sign and, in a couple of places arrows to indicate "no overtaking".

Taking all that into account and knowing I could suddenly come across a HGV and/or horse riders and/or farm tractors, I choose to drive at 40mph. I argue that in doing so, I know I'm more capable of dealing with what lies ahead and I can drive consistently without constantly accelerating and decelerating. Does that make this old, female, Honda Jazz driver a "worst driver on the road"? :(:(

I often drive the twisty narrow road from Stocksbridge up to Penistone (Underbank Lane). That road is marked National Speed Limit, but you would have to be insane to drive at 60mph on it.

Your opinions then. I'm the old lady driving a Honda Jazz!!

I live surrounded by country lanes. One, in particular, over about a 1 mile stretch, has poor camber on entry, quite steep bumps and hidden dips, a very narrow tight bend which is tree-lined and no means of "escape" and with no means of seeing on-coming traffic, a narrow hump-backed bridge and a T-junction. It's a quite busy road with a fair share of HGV's and not unusual to come across horse riders and farm tractors. For whatever reason it has a 50mph speed limit.

So, in that 1 mile stretch, I come to the 50mph speed sign, followed within yards with a "slow" sign, followed by a "beware horse riders" sign, followed by a "hidden dip" sign, followed by a "bad bend" sign, followed by a "public footpath" sign, followed by a T-junction sign and, in a couple of places arrows to indicate "no overtaking".

Taking all that into account and knowing I could suddenly come across a HGV and/or horse riders and/or farm tractors, I choose to drive at 40mph. I argue that in doing so, I know I'm more capable of dealing with what lies ahead and I can drive consistently without constantly accelerating and decelerating. Does that make this old, female, Honda Jazz driver a "worst driver on the road"? :(:(

There is another side to the sensibility scale - and I am not saying you are on that end of the scale! but I know a 95 year old, fiercely independent and living in the countryside of Gloucestershire who drives 30 mp/h max. She says it doesn't make a difference to anybody and keeps her alive. Which is only half true, it makes a huge difference to people behind her, especially on winding roads.

Like it or not, a lot of people are on the road because they have to go from A to B and get there at a certain time, making them crawl along is paramount to creating unsafe situations. One thing I really like about the Scottish police (despite them issuing me with my one and only speeding fine I ever got since moving to the UK) is that they put signs on all roads saying: Please allow overtaking.

Unfortunately for me I own a BMW and a Japanese import sports car so I'm bound to be classes as a bad driver by pretty much everyone lol.

Generally though I find hot hatches such as type R and GTIs drive the fastest. However it's small 1.0 hatches driven by older folk are sometimes the most dangerous...

I have thought for quite some time that drivers who speed tend to be those who drive aggressively. It`s not a 100% correlation but it`s definitely far more likely. Two incidents today just prove it. I was driving through Oughtibridge, which is a 30mph limit. interestingly there are no speed cameras, just that smiley/frowny face alongside the sign giving your speed. This is the kind of thing that speeding drivers much prefer to speed cameras, they maintain that it`s not prosecution it`s education which is needed, well their theory (which I disagree with) certainly didn`t work today. I was doing 30mph and was actually overtaken by a Blue Nissan Navara within the built up area. Now that's bad and very aggressive driving, what a t***. It did him no good anyway, I was right behind him within a few hundred yards as he was slowed up by other traffic, that`s what invariably happens but it doesn`t stop the aggressive wazzocks. A couple of miles further on he goes in the left lane at Lepping Lane Junction drives to the front, then when the lights change hammers it and cuts up the van which was in the correct right lane. That`s very aggressive and, let`s face it, s**t driving at any time, but anyone who knows that junction knows it`s particularly risky at that tight road layout. Thankfully it`s very rare to see that there. Basically that driver shouldn`t be on the roads, I think we can all agree on that.

The point is it was the same driver, speeding, then executing a manoeuvre that all other drivers would think appalling aggresive driving.

Edited by Justin Smith

I have thought for quite some time that drivers who speed tend to be those who drive aggressively. It`s not a 100% correlation but it`s definitely far more likely. Two incidents today just prove it. I was driving through Oughtibridge, which is a 30mph limit. interestingly there are no speed cameras, just that smiley/frowny face alongside the sign giving your speed. This is the kind of thing that speeding drivers much prefer to speed cameras, they maintain that it`s not prosecution it`s education which is needed, well their theory (which I disagree with) certainly didn`t work today. I was doing 30mph and was actually overtaken by a Blue Nissan Navara within the built up area. Now that's bad and very aggressive driving, what a t***. It did him no good anyway, I was right behind him within a few hundred yards as he was slowed up by other traffic, that`s what invariably happens but it doesn`t stop the aggressive wazzocks. A couple of miles further on he goes in the left lane at Lepping Lane Junction drives to the front, then when the lights change hammers it and cuts up the van which was in the correct right lane. That`s very aggressive and, let`s face it, s**t driving at any time, but anyone who knows that junction knows it`s particularly risky at that tight road layout. Thankfully it`s very rare to see that there. Basically that driver shouldn`t be on the roads, I think we can all agree on that.

The point is it was the same driver, speeding, then executing a manoeuvre that all other drivers would think appalling aggresive driving.

I do appear to have missed your point.

So, to summarise. You've seen someone who's driving badly. This includes them speeding.

In what way is it a surprise that an aggressive, poor driver is willing to speed in a 30 zone?

I get the feeling that you want to say that since this driver was speeding and driving badly, that all drivers who ever speed drive badly. Is that what you wanted to say or imply? If not, then what point were you making?