The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

In my experience (as a driver that covers approx 1000 miles per week , all over the country )The WORST drivers can be found in a variety of makes and models .... but the most IGNORANT drivers are definitely Mercedes drivers ..... Just my opinion

Lexus this morning, overtook me dangerously twice (on my bike on the way to work).

I asked him at the traffic lights to give cycles more room and he was saying as the light changed that either he cycles or he beeps cycles, as if that somehow made it safe to pass me with about a foot of space.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 08:44 ----------

Maybe he used his judgement and decided it was safe to overtake closer than the highway code requires. I would never condone such a thing myself but hay its using your judgement. Innit. ?

In my experience (as a driver that covers approx 1000 miles per week , all over the country )The WORST drivers can be found in a variety of makes and models .... but the most IGNORANT drivers are definitely Mercedes drivers ..... Just my opinion

Just a question... IGNORANT of what specifically?

There`s a strong case that drivers in Lincolnshire are the worst in the country. I`ve read in more than one report that Lincolnshire has the most dangerous roads (as defined by the number of deaths per head of population), and I`ve also experienced Lincolnshire drivers appalling driving for myself. As an example of the chronic problem, and we`ve seen far worse but relatively rarer examples, we were driving back to Bawtry from Gainsborough, that road was one of the most dangerous in the country so they made it 50mph and spent loads of money putting average speed cameras on it. We were doing 50mph, yet were still overtaken by two cars within 5 miles ! Despite the average speed cameras ! Such is the desperation of Lincolnshire drivers to eek out an extra 5 or 10mph, gambling on the flexibility of the prosecution threshold and the expectation their speedos are fast, therefore hoping they can sneak away without a speeding ticket.......

That's not a strong case at all. It's a strong case that there's a higher number of deaths per head of population (as is apparently stated by the data you have apparently seen), but that premise doesn't bear out your conclusion. For instance...

a) you have stated that reports that Lincolnshire has the most dangerous roads. Putting the same drivers on different roads is likely to result in more accidents on more "dangerous" roads.

b) you've made clear that you were in Lincolnshire, which demonstrates that not all the people on Lincolnshire roads are from Lincolnshire. Supposedly you keep to the speed limit, but who's to say that in general the accidents are not being caused by people from Lincolnshire, but people from other counties, say Yorkshire, who are not used to the more dangerous roads.

c) if you drive at the speed limit on any road - regardless of whether it has speed cameras on it or not - and get overtaken only twice within 5 miles, then you have encountered a remarkably law-abiding neighbourhood.

I honestly have no ties at all to Lincolnshire, but it's clear that your conclusions are shaping your assumptions and premises.

Maybe he used his judgement and decided it was safe to overtake closer than the highway code requires. I would never condone such a thing myself but hay its using your judgement. Innit. ?

I disagreed with his judgement call, and it's my life that he was putting at risk.

I'd call it complete nonsense, given the nature of the observations.

You`re wrong, what more can I say ? But, just for the point of the exercise, exactly how is my research (proving that German cars drive faster than non German cars on the motorway) wrong ?

---------- Post added 09-04-2016 at 22:43 ----------

That's not a strong case at all. It's a strong case that there's a higher number of deaths per head of population (as is apparently stated by the data you have apparently seen), but that premise doesn't bear out your conclusion. For instance...

a) you have stated that reports that Lincolnshire has the most dangerous roads. Putting the same drivers on different roads is likely to result in more accidents on more "dangerous" roads.

b) you've made clear that you were in Lincolnshire, which demonstrates that not all the people on Lincolnshire roads are from Lincolnshire. Supposedly you keep to the speed limit, but who's to say that in general the accidents are not being caused by people from Lincolnshire, but people from other counties, say Yorkshire, who are not used to the more dangerous roads.

c) if you drive at the speed limit on any road - regardless of whether it has speed cameras on it or not - and get overtaken only twice within 5 miles, then you have encountered a remarkably law-abiding neighbourhood.

I honestly have no ties at all to Lincolnshire, but it's clear that your conclusions are shaping your assumptions and premises.

On this point we definitely are at variance. If the road has average speed cameras and you`re driving at the speed limit, and get overtaken twice in 5 minutes, that`s very unusual. From memory that`s never happened in all the many many times I`ve driven on the Stocksbridge bypass, and that`s a three lane road not a two laner. I would add that if any driver is driving at the national speed limit (60mph) on a single carriageway road, and gets overtaken twice in 5 minutes that explains a lot, mainly about why there are thousands killed on our roads every year...... What is wrong with these people ?

Edited by Justin Smith

I disagreed with his judgement call, and it's my life that he was putting at risk.

Probably better if you take judgement out of it altogether though and just stick to the rules. Reduces the risk of someone making the wrong judgement and maybe killing someone. Like when people judge its safe to exceed the speed limit.