British Road Service Workshop Location ?

clocker

During the fifties my father worked for British Road Service ( Sheffield) as a body builder . On the occasional holiday I would get up early in the morning and go to work with him , packed lunch and all . I spent many happy hours , building bird houses , wooden toys and such , in the workshop where he rebuilt truck/lorry bodies , which at that time had a wooden frame under the sheetmetal body . I cannot for the life of me remember where this workshop was located . Can anyone help refresh my memory , photos would also be good ?

B R S had a place on Staniforth rd on the left hand side going towards Darnell Just before Bacon lane Bridge Then they had a place on Eyre ST The place they had on Penistone Rd was where B and Q now standsNext to the river,but Idon't remember anybodywork shops there. I used to work there1957Iwould think the body shop was on Staniforth Rd

Just after the war we used to play in an area flanked by Staniforth Rd. Shirland Lane, the canal and the railway. There were a couple of allotments where pigs were kept. A big Fun Fair with all the rides and side shows used to set up there too. A large part of this area was taken up by B.R.S. I am not sure about the workshops but there was a large depot there

My Dad also worked for BRS in the body shop during the 50's and 60's.

He first worked at the Body shop on Harvest Lane which was just off Rutland Road - I think they pulled down that building and he was transfered to Staniforth Road.

Clocker - I too spent a few happy hours in Dad's office at Harvest lane - from what I remeber he was the draughtsman, designing the lorry bodies, but i think he spent some time building them as well.

The only other people I can remember was a Polish guy and the foreman who I think was called George.

Dad died a couple of months ago and when I was going through his stuff I found some old photo albums - when I next visit my old Mum I will dig them out and see if there were any of his time at BRS

My Dad also worked for BRS in the body shop during the 50's and 60's.

He first worked at the Body shop on Harvest Lane which was just off Rutland Road - I think they pulled down that building and he was transfered to Staniforth Road.

That rings a bell , Harvest lane . If I remember correctly the office was at the back of the shop with a window where you picked up your paypacket . I think the blacksmiths forge was near the front door , to the left ....its been a long time , memory is a little fuzzy on this .

My memory is also a little rusty, but I think there were two entrances for the lorries - one at the front the other down a side road with the workshop being 'L' shaped.

Again memory may be playing tricks, but I am also sure that there was another office up some stairs which was down the side of the workshop.

Its the smells that take me back - the smell of paint, or sawn wood seemed to pervade that workshop

....and everyone who worked there always seemed really happy - but that may have been a young kid's view.

Archived