British Road Service Workshop Location ?

clocker

Staniforth Rd, and he worked with Harry Potts, and Alfie the Sheffield Cockney, and a lot of others who I will no doubt remember when I am away from the screen.

My Dads name was Al Tomlinson , He was Canadian . I don`t believe he was at Staniforth road though as we left for Canada 54/55 . Unfortunately he passed away 1964 so I only have my memory to go by ....fuzzy as it is .

Many moons ago,a school pal of mine Peter Crombie lived on Bawtry road in Brinsworth and BRS had a depot next door in someones back yard so to speak.Whether this was a reapir depot or stock yard I could not say,but Pete and I would play on the trucks and trailers until told to clear off.

My Dad was called Nelson Melluish but I think his work mates will have known him as Stuart Melluish - he didnt transfer to Staniforth Road until the mid 60's

I have asked the FIL and he can't remember your Dad docmel, but his memory is starting to fade a little, so expect an update in a week or two;)

• 3 weeks later...

my dad workedfor BRSon eyre lane off the moor .he was a machanic.he died in 1965 at the age of 65.i was twelve at the time.i can remember them having a collection for my twin sister and me the christmas after he died .they closed the depot down the day of his funeral and as a mark of respect they had two of their wagons parked at either side of the gates of city road cemetery in a final gesture my mum often spoke about it and she was i know deeply moved by the jesture.shorly after the whole depot was transfered to staniforth road and eyre lane was closed down:(

my dad workedfor BRSon eyre lane off the moor .he was a machanic.he died in 1965 at the age of 65.i was twelve at the time.i can remember them having a collection for my twin sister and me the christmas after he died .they closed the depot down the day of his funeral and as a mark of respect they had two of their wagons parked at either side of the gates of city road cemetery in a final gesture my mum often spoke about it and she was i know deeply moved by the jesture.shorly after the whole depot was transfered to staniforth road and eyre lane was closed down:(

Bushbaby - what you have just described really comes as no suprise - as I said earlier my memories of visiting my Dad when he was at BRS were that the workforce always seemed a really happy friendly crowd - my old man had nothing but praise for them - the bosses were great and by all accounts they really looked after the workforce. I think Harvest Lane was closed about the same time as Eyre Street - probably under some 'rationisation' - Dad tranferred to Staniforth Road and was ther for about another 6 years when they made him redundant. I remember his saying it was never the same after they closed down the smaller depots and I don't think he was too sorry when he left.

• 2 years later...
Staniforth Rd, and he worked with Harry Potts, and Alfie the Sheffield Cockney, and a lot of others who I will no doubt remember when I am away from the screen.

Hello Owdlad

Harry Potts was my dad, sadly he passed away in 1993. Our Uncle Frank Potts worked there too.

My brother and I had visits to the depot - do we know you?

Archived