November 5th - Guy Fawkes

Whilst most people may not know the history behind Guy Fawkes and November 5th. Some think it's to celebrate the burning of the guy who tried to blow up parliment. While others don't give a stuff. But a few know it's to celebrate a victory for the government and their power of the people. Guy Fawkes you see was actually for the people, he was just fed up with how badly the government was treating its people. So you see everytime you stick that Guy on the bonfire you are just saying the government can treat its people how it likes.

There. Your brief history lesson :hihi:

I went to a Catholic school and we always celebrated bonfire night. I remember feeling a bit confused by the burning of the guy (knowing he was a Catholic, and therefore one of the 'good guys' in the school's eyes) but I think I finally reconciled it by deciding that for some people Guy Fawkes is a hero, a martyr if you like while to others he's an insurgent - One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and all that. ..

But I don't know if the burning of the guy is actually supposed to represent the repression of Catholics though. Anyone else know anything about the history of the tradition of Bonfire Night?

• 4 years later...

Beats me why we still celebrate this......half the people don't know the reason for it anyway

people talk about saving the ozone layer and cutting down emissions on cars and pollutions

yet we still have 100's of bonfires on November 5th and fireworks going off......surely this can't be good for the ozone layer ?

Fireworks going off well before November 5th and usually continue well after, why cant people be satisfied with just the one night rather than pestering others setting them off before and after the event, then there's the Chineese Laterns - what a bloody waste of time and money they are....light the candle and away you go.....£1 down swanee river which could have been put to better use......people who but these seem to forget the damage they can do when they finally come down......set woodland on fire, damage cars.

Whilst most people may not know the history behind Guy Fawkes and November 5th. Some think it's to celebrate the burning of the guy who tried to blow up parliment. While others don't give a stuff. But a few know it's to celebrate a victory for the government and their power of the people. Guy Fawkes you see was actually for the people, he was just fed up with how badly the government was treating its people. So you see everytime you stick that Guy on the bonfire you are just saying the government can treat its people how it likes.

There. Your brief history lesson :hihi:

What is it they say about Guy Fawkes? that he was the only man to enter parliament with honest intentions? lol

Oh, and also can I point out that the effigy of the "guy" that is burnt on the bonfire is not actually Mr Guido Fawkes; it's an effigy of the pope who was regnant at the time of the gunpowder plot.

I remember that there was a historian on Radio 4 a couple of years ago, explaining all about the "gunpowder plot".

It turns out that it is most probable that Guy Fawkes was a very minor player in the event who is only remembered because he has the most memorable name. He certainly want an organiser or leader of the conspiracy, and was only loosly connected.

And yes the whole point of the burning is an anti catholic celebration because the plotters were from a catholic group who wanted to get rid of the protestant government and king. All this has been forgotten over recent decades though.

Archived