We will remember them. Rememberance Sunday 12/11/06

nanrobbo

I was at a parade on sunday in all that rain and over heard a man saying i am getting wet though My reply to him was a statement made by a old comrade a few years ago

Think of all those lads and lasses that have given up there lives so that we could be here I bet they would not be complaining if they could be standing where you are today

Hi There ,which r.s.l.do you go to.I go to Currumbin.Are you any where near as we have a fogotten valley on the highway

We used to go to the Earlwood RSL an outer suburb of Sydney.

My Forgotten Valley is on the Hawkesbury River NSW- Wisemans Ferry .

At the moment tho' I am staying at my daughters place in Coledale.

I just can't do it properly, the last one that I went to was in Bakewell where I cried my eyes out. My Grandfather, my Uncle Alf, my Uncle Ernest, my Uncle Albert, my Uncle George and my Uncle Ron would not have liked it. I now go to somewhere very quiet, somewhere where they would have have been comfortable, I now cry my eyes out with my family, God love you lads.

And please don't call them heroes, they were just lads, they didn't all die in battle, but the carnage of the trenches sent my Uncle Alf insane, and my Uncle Ron ended up dying an alcoholic after his exploits of killing Germans for fun, when he was a young lad in the 1st Airbourne, he used his commando knife very professionally against many guys of his own age.

Just don't let it happen again, please, please, please.

Never Forget

Armistice a day of remembrance yet

for our young who died, lest we forget

or have we not known the face of war

I hear you say ‘what is it for

that Poppy, it’s old hat

I’m not going to pay for that’

Never forget we are here to day

Because young lives were there to pay

the price of death among the fields

of blood red poppies that fields do yield

Were the poppies there before the dead

Or are they for remembrance in bright bright red

hazel

Never Forget

Armistice a day of remembrance yet

for our young who died, lest we forget

or have we not known the face of war

I hear you say ‘what is it for

that Poppy, it’s old hat

I’m not going to pay for that’

Never forget we are here to day

Because young lives were there to pay

the price of death among the fields

of blood red poppies that fields do yield

Were the poppies there before the dead

Or are they for remembrance in bright bright red

hazel

Beautiful Hazel. Regards Nan.

That's lovely Hazel

I don't often like 'poetry' written recently as I find the lack of understanding about 'scanning' makes for difficult reading, but that just flows beautifully, conveying exactly the right mood with its rhythm :)

May I just weigh in with a comment?I was recently in hospital for an operation and during my shorts stay(5 days) was in a ward with a young ex-serviceman who had served his country with distinction, and this young man had terrible mental problems caused by having his best mate being shot dead next to him during their service together in Northern Ireland, his life is in tatters,marriage broken up,not being able to see his children, binge drinking, irrational behaviour all as a result of this trauma,his behaviour and conduct towards everyone despite all this made a very deep impression on on me as he struggles to come to terms with his life now.Thank you Paul.

Oh yes by the way I am now in touch with "Help For Heroes"

Archived