Bought car on finance and can't afford payments

You could always contact National Debtline as the CAB is often over-stretched with requests of help from the public.

:)

Good Luck!

Agree with shiesh about this one. They're usually pretty good about advising what to do. Make sure you have your p[aperwork, especially the contract to hand when uyou call them

re JoeP's advice iot does take a while to get there and best to get sorted quickluy.

• 10 years later...

I'm worried about ending up in your situation, I'm about to get a car on finance and am worried about what would happen if I lose my Job and can't keep up on the payments. Does anyone know if there is some form of finance payment protection cover?

Thanks.

I'm worried about ending up in your situation, I'm about to get a car on finance and am worried about what would happen if I lose my Job and can't keep up on the payments. Does anyone know if there is some form of finance payment protection cover?

Thanks.

Yep, there's quite a few.

You can get income protection policies, which pay you a monthly sum for a set number of months (12/24 etc) at a set percentage of your salary, if you're made unemployed for most reasons. They exclude things like you punching someone and you getting fired though. I have a policy like that, and it's a nice bit of comfort for not that much cost. I found mine through confused.com or moneysupermarket - I forget which.

I have a friend here in Australia.

He bought a new Holden Ute valued at around 35K on hire payments.

After paying it off for around a year or so,he moved address.

He then stopped paying off the Ute.

Around a year plus has passed and no one has contacted him! He still drives the thing!

He's said to me a few times he's thinking of leaving it parked in the street,then contacting the Insurance Company to tell them where it is.

Very surprised they have not sought a Court document of some kind,a repossession perhaps.

With cost etc,it might not be worth their while.

Edited by MAC33

I have a friend here in Australia.

He bought a new Holden Ute valued at around 35K on hire payments.

After paying it off for around a year or so,he moved address.

He then stopped paying off the Ute.

Around a year plus has passed and no one has contacted him! He still drives the thing!

He's said to me a few times he's thinking of leaving it parked in the street,then contacting the Insurance Company to tell them where it is.

Very surprised they have not sought a Court document of some kind,a repossession perhaps.

With cost etc,it might not be worth their while.

Obviously can't comment on the Australian system, but in the UK, I can 100% assure you that wouldn't happen. Debt companies here will pursue people for £30, so something as valuable as a car will certainly be pursued.