Anyone remember Park Baths

kezzzza

When I lived at 137 Windy House Lane on the Manor Estate during the War years 1939 - 45. All the youngsters used to go to the Park Swiming Baths mainly to use the '(Derback) or Soft Soap and be de-louced (Kill the Dicks) in the hot slipper baths, prior to being thrown in the cold baths. I was quiet young at the time but I remember that the ladies and gents cubicles were on opposite sides of the baths. My elder brother was always trying to get me to support him by standing on my shoulders, so that he could get a 'Birds Eye view across the baths!'.

When we came out we would visit a shop which made Pyclates at two for halfpenny or very rarely getting a two penny horse meat pie to show that we were rich!!

Hope some one else can add more.

I remember the winding staircase up to the changing rooms. That was scary.

When they closed the baths they did it up and re-opened it as a youth centre.

They did'nt fill the bath in or get rid of it, we used to play football in it.(Obviously, there was no water in it!!) :D

Used to live on the parade of shops below the baths and used to go there about 3 times a week.

Pie and pea shop next door to us used to do a roaring trade.

As I remember there used to be an enormous brass turnstile you had to go through when you paid your money.

The baths were through a pair of swing doors and there was always a hell of a draught blowing through them.

Think that originally changing used to be in a series of cubicles along the side of the bath then separate changing rooms were built behind the shallow end.

WE used to have a baths day at Manor Council school We allwalked down City Rd to the Park Baths None of us had Cosies,so they used to loan us what they called trunks Like a big hankercheif Good job it was'nt mixed bathing !?But then I am talking about1934 I am 84 now Happy days

Used to be a regular visitor on Saturday mornings with my mates from Hackenthorpe. We used to be the first in around 6am and the attendant would just be getting the water heated. Must have been some sort of heat pump as there was a strong vibration running through the water, sort of thumping sound. I remember the changing rooms being on the side, girls on one and boys on 'tother. Great days!

We used to go there from Burngreave School, on a Friday I think, on Carnells coaches (also no longer in existence). The highlight had to be the tuckshop afterwards :D I also used to go there when I was in Sheffield City Swimming Club, and our Sunday meetings were held there.

Didn't actually realise it had closed.

When I was at school Hurlfield Boys in the sixties we had to go to Park Baths it was the first or last lesson for the day if it was the first we got the tokens for the bus and entery to the baths the day before but we would walk from Arbourthorne Rd so we would keep the tokens and use them elsewhere and we would do the same in the afternoon lesson. Got my 25,100,440and 880 yard certificates there.In the afternoon when we had finished we would go and get a pork pie with sloppy pies with some hendersons relish.sometimes they would take the tokens the school had gave us.

WE used to have a baths day at Manor Council school We allwalked down City Rd to the Park Baths None of us had Cosies,so they used to loan us what they called trunks Like a big hankercheif Good job it was'nt mixed bathing !?But then I am talking about1934 I am 84 now Happy days

Can you recall knowing anyone with the name of 'South'. They attended the school. Thank you.

I lived near it. It was near the Park library (which is hopefully still open :suspect:). We used to do swimming there on a Wednesday morning from Park Hill school. I earned my orange 'I can swim' badge there :) .

Me too! I also did my silver life saving badge there too.

Archived