Anyone remember Park Baths

kezzzza

Why trophyman it was'nt you that pushed me in was it! It was about 51 years ago and things like that never fade from your memory

wasnt me. i wasnt even a twinkle in dads eye in those days :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

me and my sister had swimming lessons there when we were kids, I remember doing my first width and getting a certificate for it. and that sgt major type teacher with the big stick, he was very scarey!

When I lived at 137 Windy House Lane on the Manor Estate during the War years 1939 - 45. All the youngsters used to go to the Park Swiming Baths mainly to use the '(Derback) or Soft Soap and be de-louced (Kill the Dicks) in the hot slipper baths, prior to being thrown in the cold baths. I was quiet young at the time but I remember that the ladies and gents cubicles were on opposite sides of the baths. My elder brother was always trying to get me to support him by standing on my shoulders, so that he could get a 'Birds Eye view across the baths!'.

When we came out we would visit a shop which made Pyclates at two for halfpenny or very rarely getting a two penny horse meat pie to show that we were rich!!

Hope some one else can add more.

Oatcakes And Pikelets thats was the cry when I was a lad every Fri; night as this old man came round the yards with a big basket full, that brings back happy memories, Arthur.

• 2 weeks later...
My teacher at Park Baths was a terrifying woman, she taught me to swim alright but I still get butterflies when I smell chlorine. Must have been around 76/77 when I had my lessons there.

Think we had the same teacher! :rant::suspect::o

I hated Park Baths and the instructor Mrs Bacon. I had an operation in the early 80's which meant I couldn't go swimming for quite a while. It meant that I was behind everyone else and by the time my school went to Park (we learnt in the school's own pool) everyone was having fun except me.

Thankfully, I soon picked things up and got my 25 Metres backstroke and I didn't have the place so much after. (Never did any more than that or learnt any other techniques though - learning to tread water would have been useful).

• 1 year later...
going to the park baths brings back memories of my childhood a group of us used to go in the holidays we lived on the manor and used to walk over themanor fields then busit back. i can rember the changing rooms being along side of the pool.after we usedto call to the pie shop .if i can remember it wasa converted front room of a house.those little oval pies were the most delicious pies i have ever eaten

Those little pies, how I remember them, and knocking on the door before being invited into the front room. Great memories. The house was just a little way down Duke Street, on the same side as the baths

Archived