Buying a used Rover 25 Car

I have the chance of buying a 2002 Rover 25 iL motor car.

My question is does any of our fellow Forummers own one of these models and could tell me if they are good buy, reliable,or have any known problem areas etc.

Thanks.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, they are poorly built and generally not very good. You would be better going for something like Golf or maybe a Focus if you want something about that size.

Can't comment on the 25 model but I used to have a 75 and it cost me an absolute fortune in repairs (and it was a bit of a guzzler also).

Sometime last year I spent over £900 after the head gasket blew. A few months later, it happened again and no way was I prepared to spend that kind of money again (in the knowledge that even then, it could go again).

My local garage has recently had a Rover 75 in for the same problem and that car is only three years old. You might also bear in mind that Rover went bust a couple of years ago (so be careful with warranties and so on).

It's a shame because as a family car, the Rover 75 was a nice car. Having said that, the car I'm running now is wonderful and is saving me a fortune (it even sailed through its MOT, surely a first for me!!).

Archived