Buying a used Rover 25 Car

And if only it was just the headgasket

These rovers run with so little water in the engine, when the headgasket inevitably fails, by the time you've noticed the engine has lost all its water (i.e. come to a stop) it will have cooked itself good and proper.

Those who choose to replace the failed headgasket normally discover this when the new one fails a few thousand miles later, or realise it now burns oil when it didnt before :confused:

Leave well alone

Its like any other car. A good buy if its at the right price.

Its interior (would bother me but others are obsessed with interior quality) is out of date in all senses. Materials, rear head/leg room and build quality in coparison to period competitors. Performance was above par, but as discussed above marred by reliability concerns.

However if its significantly cheaper than, say, a much older higher mileage bottom specced/engined mk3 golf then it would still be on your list to consider.

I have the chance of buying a 2002 Rover 25 iL motor car.

My question is does any of our fellow Forummers own one of these models and could tell me if they are good buy, reliable,or have any known problem areas etc.

Thanks.

Mrs Waldershelf bought a new 1.1 S reg, did over 50k miles in it with no problems other than it required starter motor at 40k miles she replaced that with a new 52 plate 1.4 ran it for over 50k miles no problems at all, she has just replaced it again this time with a Renault Clio. If Rover were still in business she would have had another 25. The cars were reliable, did not rust, the 1.4 went very well was nice to drive and was quite economical. I wonder how many of the people telling you what rubbish cars they have actually owned one.

Its a shame we don't have a car industry in this country anymore.

Dont be silly, the K series engine is a bag of ******!! major design faults, main one been that ever 30'000 miles the head gasket will go!!

DONT BUY ONE!!

thats cos it principlly a high reving performance engine

what engine do lot us use oh yeah a 1.8 k series, good engine

Dont be silly, the K series engine is a bag of ******!! major design faults, main one been that ever 30'000 miles the head gasket will go!!

DONT BUY ONE!!

Thats not entirely true.

The K-series, had it had the money invested in it, would have been superb engine.

The major fault with it was because it became over-developed. It was only originally intended to be a relatively small capacity engine, no larger than 1400cc, but because of the financial restraints MGR were working under, it was gradually increased in capacity beyond what it was intended for.

Having said that, head gasket failure is by no means inevitable-there are a number of precautions that can be taken which significently reduce the risk of that happening.Some K-series go for 100,000 miles + with no problems, others dont.

You pays your money etc...

What about spare parts for Rovers. Is that a problem now they are defunct?

Nope, at least ive never had a problem buying parts(MG).

What you have to remember is that there are so many Rovers still on the road, that parts will remain reasonably plentifull for the time being at least.

Thats not entirely true.

The K-series, had it had the money invested in it, would have been superb engine.

The major fault with it was because it became over-developed. It was only originally intended to be a relatively small capacity engine, no larger than 1400cc, but because of the financial restraints MGR were working under, it was gradually increased in capacity beyond what it was intended for.

Having said that, head gasket failure is by no means inevitable-there are a number of precautions that can be taken which significently reduce the risk of that happening.Some K-series go for 100,000 miles + with no problems, others dont.

You pays your money etc...

I am sure what you say is true, I think it's only the 1.8 engines that suffer from premature head gasket failure

Archived