Buying a used Rover 25 Car

Dont be silly, the K series engine is a bag of ******!! major design faults, main one been that ever 30'000 miles the head gasket will go!!

DONT BUY ONE!!

all engines can suffer from head gasket faliure that don't make em bad

cosworth engines after be rebuilt every 10k miles- are they bad engines er no their one of the best ever built, same with red tops and rotary engines

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also thinking of buying one. seems like a bargain, low miles etc but i read on "what car" that if you hear tapping when started from cold walk away as a major repair is on the way. the one i test drove today did that but like i said it had low miles and full rover serv history. any one know what the problem could be? also how nippy are they coz this one seemed a bit wet

I have the chance of buying a 2002 Rover 25 iL motor car.

My question is does any of our fellow Forummers own one of these models and could tell me if they are good buy, reliable,or have any known problem areas etc.

Thanks.

DONT DO IT......get a toyota Yaris or a Nissan Micra.

as much as i like the cuddly shape of the 25/214 i wouldn't bargepole one either, the head gasket is made of cheese and when the car gets a sweat on it melts and the water goes into the engine and ruins it, big bills, bargain or not, leave it. Find an honest high mileage german thing, keep it well serviced, have the timing belt done, and save your money.

my car has 206,000 + miles and i won't swap it for anything.

• 3 years later...

ACTUALLY!!, IF your headgasket goes the if you shop around you can get it done for about 3-400. If you have AA parts cover then if it goes then that will cover it and will be repaired.

IF you have a new headgasket and it goes again then it sounds like the garage you used wasn't very good and either didn't skim the head [gasket wouldn't seal properly and so would go] or didnt repair the initial cause [eg a leak in acoolant hose etc..] or didnt upgrade it to the much better MLS type.

I am not denying the MG Rover gasket problem but with the right knowledge [Enthusiast sites like mg-rover.org] help and expertise then you will be able to keep your Rover in top shape. Instead of listening to the 'normal people' opinions and non-expert views as regarding repairs etc...

From mg-rover.org I have learnt much information about my car [im 18!], the engines and how to fix the problem, and in most cases if your pretty competent with a spanner then you can most likely do it yourself [apart from if you need the head need skimming(not always) ] from about £150 - £200 cost of parts and head skimming. No lie.

The right care for your mg or rover will ensure the longest life possible of your gasket, although if a local and trusted garage [go by recommendation or check on mg-rover.org for local trusted garages] fits a MLS gasket if will almost guaranteed NEVER FAIL!

Care such as;

- DON't rev engine hard before it is up to normal temp, although that doesnt mean you can't give it then beans once it is! :D

- Always let the engine warm up properly when doing short journeys, even if you have to go round the block once or twice.

- WEEKLY check coolant levels, as small undetectable leaks [such as perished hoses and coolant dissolving through them, not even dripping] might lead to overheating.

PLEASE do not make pre judgemental views on these cars, generally they are nice cars to be in and drive - I know some people can't deny that the touch of class isn't nice. Fair enough you will get good and bad cars, but that is like EVERY brand. I know someone with a 59 reg Vauxhall insignia whose gearbox blew up when 6 months old!! and a Nissan Quashcai that electric windows jammed and had brake problems when nearly new!!!

PLEASE, IF IN DOUBT, DON'T LISTEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC VIEWS, AT LEAST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT THESE CARS!

Many Thanks

David

mg-rover.org

P.S German cars are't actually that good [not as good as they used to be], get Japanese if in doubt! [Does that sound biased to you?]

i'm also thinking of buying one. seems like a bargain, low miles etc but i read on "what car" that if you hear tapping when started from cold walk away as a major repair is on the way. the one i test drove today did that but like i said it had low miles and full rover serv history. any one know what the problem could be? also how nippy are they coz this one seemed a bit wet

i wouldnt have one, and i know enough people who wouldnt touch one.....

ACTUALLY!!, IF your headgasket goes the if you shop around you can get it done for about 3-400. If you have AA parts cover then if it goes then that will cover it and will be repaired.

IF you have a new headgasket and it goes again then it sounds like the garage you used wasn't very good and either didn't skim the head [gasket wouldn't seal properly and so would go] or didnt repair the initial cause [eg a leak in acoolant hose etc..] or didnt upgrade it to the much better MLS type.

I am not denying the MG Rover gasket problem but with the right knowledge [Enthusiast sites like mg-rover.org] help and expertise then you will be able to keep your Rover in top shape. Instead of listening to the 'normal people' opinions and non-expert views as regarding repairs etc...

From mg-rover.org I have learnt much information about my car [im 18!], the engines and how to fix the problem, and in most cases if your pretty competent with a spanner then you can most likely do it yourself [apart from if you need the head need skimming(not always) ] from about £150 - £200 cost of parts and head skimming. No lie.

The right care for your mg or rover will ensure the longest life possible of your gasket, although if a local and trusted garage [go by recommendation or check on mg-rover.org for local trusted garages] fits a MLS gasket if will almost guaranteed NEVER FAIL!

Care such as;

- DON't rev engine hard before it is up to normal temp, although that doesnt mean you can't give it then beans once it is! :D

- Always let the engine warm up properly when doing short journeys, even if you have to go round the block once or twice.

- WEEKLY check coolant levels, as small undetectable leaks [such as perished hoses and coolant dissolving through them, not even dripping] might lead to overheating.

PLEASE do not make pre judgemental views on these cars, generally they are nice cars to be in and drive - I know some people can't deny that the touch of class isn't nice. Fair enough you will get good and bad cars, but that is like EVERY brand. I know someone with a 59 reg Vauxhall insignia whose gearbox blew up when 6 months old!! and a Nissan Quashcai that electric windows jammed and had brake problems when nearly new!!!

PLEASE, IF IN DOUBT, DON'T LISTEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC VIEWS, AT LEAST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT THESE CARS!

Many Thanks

David

mg-rover.org

P.S German cars are't actually that good [not as good as they used to be], get Japanese if in doubt! [Does that sound biased to you?]

what a load of crap......................

the engines fail, badly put together, the whole build is bad....want me to continue?

so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt..............

and yes, i have had lots of Toyota's also, so i can talk about them too, again, a engine lasts 10 times as long (and i raced and high revved them all the time)

also i like it you have never been on here before (it happens) but you picked that name.........

i have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

Cooljules wrote-so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt.............. have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you also tell everyone,that the Rover 75 Diesel version,has a BMW engine in it?,or did that fact escape you?.

Just yesterday I know someone with a 52reg BMW 523 with 48k on it and the alternator exploded! He has also had a new radiator and cooling system? Is that good for 'German reliability'?

As well as most of the VWs and such i see broken down on the motorway. I saw a 57 reg Passat Estate broken down the other day??? In a average 2-3 hour motorway journey, I prob see 6-7 broken down cars, usually most German (BMW, Merc, Skoda, VW, Audi etc...) perhaps but not always 1 or 2 Rovers, and mostly French.

Do, watch out on your motoway journeys for broken down cars, I actually see very little Rover, but I'm not denying that I don't see any!

i wouldnt have one, and i know enough people who wouldnt touch one.....

what a load of crap......................

the engines fail, badly put together, the whole build is bad....want me to continue?

so whats the highest milage you had in a rover? i bed not tenth my bmw engine has done, and never needed to be rebuilt..............

and yes, i have had lots of Toyota's also, so i can talk about them too, again, a engine lasts 10 times as long (and i raced and high revved them all the time)

also i like it you have never been on here before (it happens) but you picked that name.........

i have driven just about every car, and make in 20 years, all over the world, and whilei hate old vauxhall/opel i would never ever even tell my worst enemy to buy a rover. (and dont get me started on the old BL/rover/mg etc, i can tell everyone about em....................first hand)

Ive seen a Rover 75 on ebay with 735k miles!! There was even a photo of the speedo and I even emailed the guy to check it wasnt a typo on the ad too! Ive also seen a Metro with 260k!

I only found this thread through searching something else through Google and thought it was rather unfair as the majority of people on my forums have happy motoring. I didn't say you couldn't high rev a Rover, infact the K series engines thrive on being revved, but like WITH ANY CAR/ENGINE, as a good owner you should never rev hard when cold, its like pouring sand down the bores!

I too would agree with the Toyota's, they are superb cars and I dont believe most of this recall **** tbh, they are still some of the most reliable cars in the world, my Dad has a Toyota Avensis. My name comes from what I am called on various other forums. Whether or not I just joined or not has no relation to my point of view or knowledge, so dont try that one.

ALSO, the the BMW 1 series was originally destined to be a ROVER!!! Until BMW took the design etc.. when they sold off Rover and then offered it back to them for money BMW knew Rover didn't have!

Electric power steering, now on 90% of modern and new cars was invented by 'Powertrain' at Rover in Longbridge and stolen by BMW!

Im not 100% on this, but I know for a fact the previous Corsa [and whatever cars share its engine type] suffer with HGF and as well as Fiat Puntos also so they are not the only cars that do it!

As for spares, they are plentyful, with 2 very large companies selling New Old Stock [Rimmer Bros and Xpart] as well as other cars in scrap yards you can never not find a part. I have a bloody Rover Metro and Iv'e never had trouble finding parts, that car has been out of production for 13 years!

As for depreciation, they likelihood is you wouldn't pay much for an MGR these days so you would not loose much anyway and it would be like any other car of 1.5 - 3k.

Archived