Buying a used Rover 25 Car

My Rover 200 (same 25 bubble shape) was a great bargain. Because of all the head gasket scares the owner could barely give it away. In the years I had it I only needed to replace the brakes and tyres. It was comfy, reliable and very cheap to run. I think I bought it at 26K and sold it at 78k miles.

Ours had got 120k on when we sold it, we did 30k of those and we just had it serviced and 2 Tyres. Not bad in my book.

In comparison my brothers BMW 3 series head gasket failed has needed alternator, had a water pump fail, track rod ends and a fly wheel.

A well maintained rover 25 will last a long time, you only have to look at how many 200's and 25's are on the road.

The K series was / is a good engine let down by the small coolant capacity.

Lotus and caterham seemed to like it and used the k for a number of years in the Elise and 7 models of there cars I believe.

then lotus fitted the very good, reliable toyota engine

Isnt the 1.8 the engine that was used in the MGF 2 seater ? I know a few people who have had head gasket problems with those.

Yep, that and the Freelander.

That engine is quote a mystery. I've known 'F' owners who've driven their baby carefully from new and had failure, and sometimes failure after failure. And then there are those who've driven it really hard and never had a problem.

Mrs Waldershelf bought a new 1.1 S reg, did over 50k miles in it with no problems other than it required starter motor at 40k miles she replaced that with a new 52 plate 1.4 ran it for over 50k miles no problems at all, she has just replaced it again this time with a Renault Clio. If Rover were still in business she would have had another 25. The cars were reliable, did not rust, the 1.4 went very well was nice to drive and was quite economical. I wonder how many of the people telling you what rubbish cars they have actually owned one.

Its a shame we don't have a car industry in this country anymore.

We had a 1988 Peugeot 305 which we put through 5 annual tests and it passed every one including emissions. the bodywork and engine were superb and it had 198000 miles on the clock, did 55 to gallon(1.9 diesel) and we would still have it now but for the fact my husband was waiting patiently at red lights looked in the mirror and realised the car approaching from rear wasn't going to stop in time and braced himself for impact. the other mans insurance company wouldn't pay for repairs to rear door as said would cost more than car was worth and we had to part with our classic car. Beware Saga insurance.

Archived