Do you buy extended warranties?

I was surprised that PC world (it was an emergency Job that needed doing!) where I got a cheap Mac from asked if I wanted extended warranty. The cost turned out to be almost 50% of the computer itself. I declined as I for one don’t think they are value for money.

Do you buy them or think they are a rip off?

It depends what the goods are and what value they are worth. I once bought a cheap monitor from PC world and they broke their backs trying to flog me warranty which was almost as much as the monitor. I told them that if it went wrong then I'll just buy another.

I did on my last computer - my aunt paid for it.

this one - no - when i do the college course (or rather as sson as i learn) i'll rip out the "gubbins" of this one and put in a much better HDD, more RAM, and up the processor.

I think the only other thing we have ever had was a VCR back in 1996. We never used it though!

It can be worth it sometimes, though.

I once bought a couple of AA batteries rom Curry's and paid £95 for the extra month's warranty on them.

Boy, was I glad did! They went flat after FOUR WEEKS of average alarm-clock wear and when I took them back they replaced them without question. Prompt.

Service with a smile, I say: or was it a laugh?

Bought 2 over the years, both from Comet. One, for a Dyson, which I claimed on and they replaced all the internal bits first time and then major overhaul when it went again. (Won't buy Dyson again when I saw the number waiting for repair.) Second warranty was on a VCR, I never claimed and got the full refund 3 years later. So they do work, sometimes, but I'd not buy an extended warranty again unless for an expensive item.

could be wrong but dont companys make most of their profit through extended warranties etc.??

They are a complete skank in my opinion how often is it you by a good quality item and it need repairing?i cant think of anything ive had to have repaires for many years.

I know someone, ( I cant name them for obvious reasons ) who works in a department of a major high street retailer. That persons department is responsible for extented warranties.

That person will only buy extended warranties on goods under £100 as they get immediate replacement. But said person wont have any other type of cover.

Enough said

Phew, got right through that and didnt mention Sallys name once

I once bought the warranty on a pc. It was delivered and the same evening before we had even unpacked it was stolen. I went back to the shop and was provided with another. Although they were understandably funny with me. Anyway about a week later all mine and my husbands bank cards etc were found outside the same store early one morning. Turns out it was something to do with the delivery men!

Archived