Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

87 members have voted

1. 1. Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some extent

Originally posted by kookie

I usually read the Mail. What does that say about me?

I thought this thread was about newspapers.:D

UK News Media Explained: "Yes, Prime Minister: 2.4 - A Conflict of Interest" BBC TV: 29 December 1987

Jim Hacker: "Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers:

- The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;

- The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;

- The Times is read by people who actually do run the country;

- The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;

- The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;

- The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;

- And the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is."

Sir Humphrey: "Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?"

Bernard Woolley: "Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits."

Years ago I read the Guardian - it's a long story that I may be enticed to tell in the pub some time but eventually I got so peeved with the editors and the editorial policy of The Ruardinag that I switched to The Times.

However, I'll also read the Telegraph and the FT, and will occasionally read the tabloids for the showbiz gossip!

In other words, I don't think you can tell TOO much.

I once knew a Communist who would read the FT and The Morning Star. His logic was that as the FT was read by the capitalist imperialist pigs (his words, not mine...;-) ), who needed to know the truth so as to better exploit the workers, the FT would e as honest in it's own way as the Party Newspaper was. :-)

Joe

I suppose that quote re: what people read = *who they are*.

People think The Sun is a "working-mans" paper, in fact it is more Tory than anything.

I am not a regular paper reader, but when i do - twice a week normally. In the evening, so the news is 6 hrs out of date (!) I read The Guardian.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Murdoch is a Labour supporter.

Hmmmmm I know his papers have backed Labour in the last election but I don't know that I would describe him as a Labour supporter. I think he backs the party that are most likely to win the election to maximise his influence. If the Tories ever looked likely to win the election he would back them.

Originally posted by John

Good question - I guess we all have different views on what different papers stand for. I read the Guardian cos I think it stands for a liberal, tolerant society. I would say I share its values by and large.

I'm impressed with the commie who read the FT. I should probably read something that challenged my views but I get too angry when I read the likes of the Torygraph.

Archived