Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some extent

I think you've got that the wrong way around.

Murdoch calls the shots. The Sun along with the Times threatened to not support Labour in the next election unless Blair committed to a referendum. It looks like a deal was done.

Can you tell me the last time a party not supported by The Sun won a General Election?

Originally posted by Lickszz

I think you've got that the wrong way around.

Murdoch calls the shots. The Sun along with the Times threatened to not support Labour in the next election unless Blair committed to a referendum. It looks like a deal was done.

Can you tell me the last time a party not supported by The Sun won a General Election?

I don't doubt the Sun has influence but I don't think it is decisive, despite its claims to the contrary. As for it backing the winners, there is only one election I can recall where the outcome wasn't a foregone conclusion by polling day (1992).

If you look at all of the papers both broadsheet and tabloid by my reckoning Labour have a big majority in support terms compared to other parties.

Blair must realise how valuable the support of The Sun is or he would not have pandered to Murdoch.

I voted ' to some extent'.

My mum was usually a broadsheet reader (Guardian during the week & Observer at weekends) Now admittedly you could probably get a fairly accurate picture of her political views from that.

However, occasionally I'd "catch" her with a tabloid (News Of the World or The Mail) looking slightly sheepish in pretty much the same way as she'd look guilty if caught eating a sneaky bar of chocolate.

Maybe for some people tabloids = equivalent of a chocolate bar for the mind rather than totally indicative of political views or preferred 'literary style'.

Plus tabloids are easier to read in bed on a Sunday morning :P

Originally posted by kookie

I usually read the Mail. What does that say about me?

Oooo you don't want to know ;)

Originally posted by Lickszz

Murdoch is a Labour supporter.

No wonder he gives Blair a hard time :D

On Saturday I came back from the paper shop with an FT, a YP, and a Sheffield Telegraph and I couldn't find a daily Telegraph. On Sunday I bought a Sunday Times.

What would you make of that? :confused:

Archived