Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some extent

It's difficult to have an indepth discussion with someone who's opinions on World Issues are shapped by the journalism of the Sun.

Anyone who reads a quality broadsheet everyday will be far more knowledgeable than some one who reads a Celeb rag.

• 1 year later...

I was astonished to find out that there is a paper entitled Psychic Times. That's one rag you wouldn't think there would be much call for, isn't it?

I bought a fish and some chips from Compo's Cafe in Holmfirth this afternoon. The erudite beggar was catching up with the Times. I suppose Angler's Times might be something of a horror book for it.

I have to admit that I read any newspaper that comes to hand, going for none inparticular. Usually when you have read one, you have a pretty good idea what is in the rest.

The Sheffield Star is probably my favourite, but sometimes it can be pretty boring. And I check the deaths section every week to make sure I have not died without me knowing it.

Dragon

I read The Grundian, (aka The Guardian) though their typos are not as bad as they used to be.

Also The Daily Mail when I visit Mum & Dad and have a flick through their paper.

The Guardian are quite good at cryptic headlines. Reporting on a brass band marching through the capital of Albania, their headline was 'Tirana oomphs today'! (Well, I thought it was funny anyway!). :smile:

I voted 'To some extent'.

I buy the times.

I dont actually ever read it . I buy it for the crosswors and times 2 is quite good. good arts coverage

I try not to read newspapers too often, because they detract from time when I could be reading other stuff and they tend to make me depressed, but during times of fast-moving events which require deeper insight than you get off the TV or radio, like right now, then I tend to buy the Guardian/Observer or Independant, mainly for the comment & analysis more than the news reporting itself. "Al-Qaeda expert" Jason Burke, writing in the Observer, has been consistently the only voice of utter reason and sanity since the 7th July bombings.

When I worked in an office, I used to spend lunch reading whatever papers were left lying around, usually the Mail or the Evening Standard. The Mail would just send my blood pressure through the roof (for all that's said about Sun readers, at least most Sun readers don't take their newspaper very seriously, whereas Mail readers seem to actually think they're getting an informed view on world events), but the Evening Standard was actually a very good newspaper in those days (early 90s, when Stewart Steven was editor), whereas nowadays it's just a slightly later London-centric edition of the Daily Mail.

When I travelled regularly on Midland Mainline first class I used to read whatever broadsheet they handed out free, back then it was the Telegraph and then the Times. I became familiar with their own particular styles, the Times in particular seems rather insidiously biased (in the kind of way you might expect from a Murdoch paper which purports to be serious), i.e. it doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve like some other papers, but still exhibits a fair degree of bias.

Very occasionally I buy the FT: despite what Joe's communist friend may have thought, it actually seems to have the least biased reporting of all the dailies, although it can be rather hard work and lacking in the kind of fluff which lightens up newspaper reading.

Originally posted by Abdul

True. Are we heading to an eventual situation where Murdoch will dictate national policy and Bush will dictate foreign policy?

Welcome to Australia. Murdock and Packer,domestic. USA foreign policy, and China trade.

Archived