Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Can you judge a person by what newspaper they read?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some extent

Telegraph readers, like myself, are usually erudite, urbane characters, at ease with themselves and with the wider world. Guardian readers tend to suffer from what Auberon Waugh once called 'Pilgerism' [a reference to the journalist and broadcaster, John Pilger, or maybe Jon Pilger]. This is a tendency towards a state of permanent indignation, lips constantly quivering at possible 'racism', 'sexism' etc.

Readers of the tabloids tend to be intellectually- incurious, bitter, unpleasant, moronically-stupid people. They tend to put lots of sauce on their disgusting food [fish fingers, oven chips etc], and their vulgar homes never see a decent bottle of wine from one year to the next. They like reductionist, unitary explanations for complex problems too, hence the appeal of The Sun etc. They are usually lacking in all social graces, and find copious flatulence highly amusing. They tend to shop at Morrisons and Asda, and drive nasty Japanese cars. Damn their eyes.

I have always thought of Telegraph readers as being a slightly more intellegent Daily Mail reader ;)

I also think as Guardian readers as yoghurt weaving tree huggers :D

I don't judge people by the particular paper they read.

BUT, if the only method someone uses to learn about the world is by reading a tabloid, I think you would be quite justified in judging that they probably wont have much of a grasp of the way the world works.

The aim of a tabloid is to present the world in a simplified way, and confirm the prejudices of the reader.

It may be possible to read a tabloid and not be an ignoramous, but they are aimed at an ignorant readership.

All newspapers pander to the skewed views of their readership - that's why they gravitate towards each other (on the whole). It's self-perpetuating ;)

Mind you..... TV's not much better these days

Originally posted by Strix

All newspapers pander to the skewed views of their readership - that's why they gravitate towards each other (on the whole). It's self-perpetuating ;)

Mind you..... TV's not much better these days

Yes, but the difference is that most broadsheets, while they do still have their own broad "agendas", they do tend to present enough information for you to reach your own conclusions.

Tabloids tend to present their own conclusions as facts, and having ready made opinions suits a lot of people, because they don't have either the time, inclination or brain to reach informed opinions of their own.

Archived