Sheffield bands - who's the best?

bladezman

which ones, grappler?

I played guitar in "The Bloc" which only lasted for a few gigs, BUT one of them was at the Crucible Studio (little theatre inside the Crucible building), I think "Stodge" who posts on here was at that one, along with about 100 other people? We also played a few pub gigs, one was the Arbourthorne Hotel, I was dressed like Paul Weller in "The Jam", as I had met him a few weeks before and was a massive fan, unfortunately it was "bikers/rockers night" at the pub!!!! We got a few dirty looks but it all went ok.

The drummer from the Bloc went on to play in "Beat Street" and I went to join Simon Lee Ellis in "The Prams", we were ready to gig when our practice room at West Bar was broken into and my guitar was nicked. It took me ages to save for another one (my trusty Vox) and by that time I had met someone and fallen in love (ahh....). Didn't play for over 20 years but then formed a blues band and played at the Nottingham House in Broomhill last year for a breast cancer fund raiser.

My daughter used to play Bass in a local band called "Pretty Young Things" and supported Maximo Park and Pink Grease and my son has formed a band called The Pickups, so it must be in the genes!!!!!!

Current

Little Man Tate - just bought the cd, sounds great.

Long Blondes - four or five great tracks but not taken on the whole album

Milburn - fab

What has happened to the dodgems!!!!! Are they still out there.

Past

Human League

Pulp

Cabaret Voltaire

Heaven 17 - amazing

I have to agree Pippa, I have also purchased Little Man Tate's album and it is fantastic. Infact it is being played non-stop in my car as I try and pick up the hilarious lyrics to all the songs. It is something you can listen to in any mood and it will pick you up. Simply brilliant. A treasure. Sheffield music continues to rock.

I played guitar in "The Bloc" which only lasted for a few gigs, BUT one of them was at the Crucible Studio (little theatre inside the Crucible building), I think "Stodge" who posts on here was at that one, along with about 100 other people?

Yes I was at this one but I remember your first ever GIG do you ????

Boz on drums, Kev Allen on guitar, you on guitar and Percy on vocals singing a load of Ramones classics at the hall in Gleadless Valley one disco night i forget who was the dj.....LOL could have been me...???

Did you do my classic tune "Anti Moffatt League" I wonder?

Current

Little Man Tate - just bought the cd, sounds great.

Long Blondes - four or five great tracks but not taken on the whole album

Milburn - fab

What has happened to the dodgems!!!!! Are they still out there.

Past

Human League

Pulp

Cabaret Voltaire

Heaven 17 - amazing

nice to see the Cabs fans still keeping the faith

Sounds like Slow Club, they are excellent. Just been on tour with the Noisettes and Hot Club De Paris. Reckon hey will have a good year. http://www.myspace.com/slowclub

Thankyou lomaxkinesis - they were indeed Slow Club. Massively entertaining.

This seems like the rigt place to mention the Carol Anne Showband again - they played at our houseparty on Saturday night. What a night that was - two sets that made a party that'll be talked about for years. Nice guys too.

Archived