Sheffield bands - who's the best?

bladezman

Yes I was at this one but I remember your first ever GIG do you ????

Boz on drums, Kev Allen on guitar, you on guitar and Percy on vocals singing a load of Ramones classics at the hall in Gleadless Valley one disco night i forget who was the dj.....LOL could have been me...???

Did you do my classic tune "Anti Moffatt League" I wonder?

Ahhh...happy days!!! I think we were still called "Urban Youth" then, or a similar "angry young men" type of name! Anti Moffat League should have been a number one!!

• 9 months later...
I saw the stoops last month in HWMC and thought they were pretty good, they're only young and all that but are coming on well, i also like chicken legs weaver, i used to know the lead singer Andy as he was a lecturer at Parsons cross and did us a song in a back street pub back in Scarborough back in 97 and it went down a storm, have seen them a couple of times since and like there sound a lot. Long Blondes are cool too.

I was there. Missed Andy's song though as a few of us went off on our own to explore lovely Scarborough. Probably know you then.

Cabaret Voltaire. End of. Unless anyone can name another Sheffield group that's been more influential or creative. Oh, you can't.

Richard H Kirk is still putting out some good stuff too, The War Against Terror is ace.

Hiem are good, worth seeing live.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you heard of Paddy Orange? Saw him live at plug. Blew me away.

I have nicked this from a Blades fan site, but hey shhhh. No one knows.

Anyway, I just wondered what you guys and girls favourite Sheffield band is, bar the Monkeys because they're the most well-known.

Having very limited knowledge I would say Little Man Tate, for their sound and lyrics.

I like lyrics which describe things and places in Sheffield, it helps you relate to them.

But here's the selection of some you may have heard of, and some you may not.

Over to you folks.

Little Blondes...i've forgotten their exact name, doh.

Bromheads Jacket

Little Man Tate

Little Ze

The Wanted

Milburn

Stoney

Reverend & The Makers

The Hosts

The Haze

The Harrisons

Gas Club

Dead World Leaders

The Chartists

Don't think even they would say they are the best in Sheffield but a night listening to 'The Call' is always fun and (if you like classics from the 70's to the 90's) guaranteed to get you singin and clappin!

Try their web site for samples and gig list - the next being saturday 5th january at the moon in upperthorpe.

With Abbeydale's finest on draught and good music a good night is a distinct possibility!

Archived