Sheffield Judo Clubs

Magic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me where the Judo club is located in Woodhouse?

According to a couple of websites I’ve seen, Woodhouse Judo Club is located at Woodhouse Community Centre, but it would appear to have moved. I’ve asked several local residents but no one knows where it’s moved to, and I’ve phoned the tel. no. associated with the club and had no luck, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that’s interested, I’ve managed to find 3 Judo clubs in Sheffield (after discovering that Woodhouse Judo Club has been closed for 4-5 years!)

There’s a club at the English Institute of Sport on Attercliffe, where the facilities are obviously superb. The class is on Monday evenings and starts at 8pm (finish approx 9.30). It costs £3 per session. There’s a decent mix of ability and both male and female players attend – all are welcome. There’s also a children’s class prior to the adults, but I’m not sure what time that starts.

The other clubs that I’ve found are Sheffield Judo Club, which is on Grimesthorpe Road (there’s an advert in the Yellow Pages). The class is on Wednesday evenings, 8.30-10.00pm and costs £2.50. There’s also Sheffield University Judo Club, which is located at the Goodwin Sports Centre. I believe the classes are on Thursday evenings at about 8pm, and I think it costs £2 per session, but I’m not certain about this (there is a website that provides details).

For those who don’t know, Judo is a combat sport and is officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee. It consists of throws, locks, and strangles (including groundwork), but no strikes, and although it is taught predominantly as a sport, it can potentially be used as an effective method of self-defence. It’s also an excellent way to get EXTREMELY fit (anyone who remembers Neil Adams or the ‘legendary’ Brian Jacks on Superstars will attest to that!).

I noticed that several people have viewed my post where I asked for details about Woodhouse Judo Club, so I hope this proves informative.

This kinda touches on something I was gonna ask....

I've been studying karate for just over 2 years and while I like the style I am noticing a big hole in the grappling / groundfighting end of things that aint been plugged by my current training regime.

Would judo in your opinion rectify this? I need some sort of grappling art to complement what I'm up to at t'minute. What do you grapplers out there recommend?

If you can find it submision wrestling is pretty good - there is also a BJJ school in Sheffield which is very ground fighting oriented and has some striking involved which should help bridge the karate / grappling gap. Though judo is also good and probably the easiest to find a good school in :)

• 3 months later...

Ive seen a couple of past posts on this board about Judo Clubs in Sheffield, and I thought Id tell you what I know about them for anyone who's interested...

First of all theres Sheffield University Judo Club, which train at Goodwin Sports Centre on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8-10pm both nights (Tuesday's only open to people who have a grade in Judo). The session costs £2 and anyone is welcome. For more details look on http://www.shef.ac.uk/~jc

Then there is a training session on Monday nights at the EIS (English Instsitute of Sport) near Meadowhall and the facilities here are excellent for Judo - for adults, this costs £3 a session, but I dont know how much it is for kids. Kids can train there from 6.30-8pm (I think!) and adults train after 8-9.30pm.

Also, theres a training session at Sheffield Judo Club on Wednesday evenings - this is held on Grimsthorpe Road and starts at around 8-ish, and is £2.50 a session.

Judo itself is a grappling martial art, and the emphasis is on wrestling whilst standing or on the floor. Fights are won either by a high-quality throw, a hold-down for 25 seconds, or by submission (armlocks and strangles). There is no striking in Judo, but it is very good for overall fitness and building strength, and can be useful in close-contact self defence.

If you're interested in starting Judo, or in coming along to either of these clubs, then come to the training session on the night which suits you best.

Archived