St. Hildas church..does anyone know?

Mod2

Me and my friend was walking past St.Hildas church on windmill lane the other day and was wondering why it shut down in 2005. He was christened there and I've been told people use to go in the basement when there were bombings years ago...does anyone know anything about the church? I have no life and am uite interested :loopy:

thank you

We used to reherse our Pop groupe "The Questors" in the basement and hold dances on Saturday nights in the 60's... Bobby Knutt performed there with us when he was called Bob Andrews..We gave up playing there after the nearby houses complained of the noise we made.

• 1 month later...

St Hilda's closed due to lack of patronage.

We did not share the Vicar with St Leonards and many parishoners go to St Christophers on Bellhouse Road now.

How sad (and not racially meant) that our churches are closing whilst mosques are being built.

Where have we gone wrong?

• 9 months later...
Me and my friend was walking past St.Hildas church on windmill lane the other day and was wondering why it shut down in 2005. He was christened there and I've been told people use to go in the basement when there were bombings years ago...does anyone know anything about the church? I have no life and am uite interested :loopy:

thank you

when i maved on bevercotes in 1935 it was only the bottem halve

i think it 1937 when the put the top church on so it is actualy 2 churches on

top of one another

• 3 years later...

we went wrong when we stopped believing in God. a Church can not stay open if no one uses it. If people profess to believe in God then they should find a Church use it and turn back the tide,or should that be the flood of mosques.No offence to muslem who at least practice what they believe

• 6 months later...

Just to let people know that St Hildas now has a notice on it for demolition, it's such a shame that the building couldn't be used for something else instead of being bulldozed to the ground. I suppose it'll be to make way for yet more flats!

Archived