St. Hildas church..does anyone know?

Mod2

Hi St Hilda's is due for demolition very soon as it has been unused for sometime. I am one of the local residents and feel it would be a great loss to the area. I have set up an online petition and website in order to gather support for finding a more appropriate solution to demolition. As far as I know the buildign has not been up for sale at all. I feel once lost it's gone forever and wonder what will be left in its place. If you have feelings on the matter please make it known now before it is too late. Please google 'st hilda's - go petition' and you can link to the site from there.

In some cases it can be a cheaper option to demolish an existing building and build from scratch. According to one architect I spoke to a few years back, that would have been a cheaper option for the University Arts Tower. As far as this former church is concerned, I don't think there would be any advantage in saving it.

As it appears that the congregation has moved to other locations, there doesn't seem to be any need for it as it stands.

Let's face it, it's an eyesore. It looks more like a disused factory unit than a building to celebrate a popular religion.

Tear it down!

In some cases it can be a cheaper option to demolish an existing building and build from scratch. According to one architect I spoke to a few years back, that would have been a cheaper option for the University Arts Tower. As far as this former church is concerned, I don't think there would be any advantage in saving it.

But the Arts Tower is Grade II* listed so it wouldn't be possible to demolish it.

Hi there is another thread to this discussion about St Hilda's on sheffield forum http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=915197

and also a website and petition to support saving this impressive building http://www.sthildas.webs.com

It looks likely we will end up with yet another gaping hole in the landscape gathering freezers while a commericial developer sits on safe land waiting for the economy to improve - or perhaps it shall be a block of flats which will not improve the view from behind or from below for the neighbourhood. Lets look around at the number of barren plots and the amount of empty property and wonder whether knocking down this perfectly sound-structured, viable old building of historic interest is a good idea. Please voice your opinion now if you like this building we are in the process of developing a proposal and need your support.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the dioceses of sheffield and they said that a local developer had bought it and has submitted plans to build some houses on there, however the council have denied any plans being submitted. Apparently they have refused some of his plans as he wanted to use the old tiles off the roof and was told that they didn't fit in to the area and was refused but again the council have denied any knowledge of this.

I have spent my whole life looking at this church, I was christened there and don't want to see it torn down, how many of you objecting to have it demolished actually see the church, I see it everytime I look thorugh the window and would prefer to see it converted.

Lots of people actually pull up in their cars to look at the views and take pictures like they used to on Jenkin before all those houses blocked the view spoiling peoples pleasure.

It would be nice if the residents in the area would be consulted in what is happening instead of everything being done underhand.

I spoke to the dioceses of sheffield and they said that a local developer had bought it and has submitted plans to build some houses on there, however the council have denied any plans being submitted. Apparently they have refused some of his plans as he wanted to use the old tiles off the roof and was told that they didn't fit in to the area and was refused but again the council have denied any knowledge of this.

I have spent my whole life looking at this church, I was christened there and don't want to see it torn down, how many of you objecting to have it demolished actually see the church, I see it everytime I look thorugh the window and would prefer to see it converted.

Lots of people actually pull up in their cars to look at the views and take pictures like they used to on Jenkin before all those houses blocked the view spoiling peoples pleasure.

It would be nice if the residents in the area would be consulted in what is happening instead of everything being done underhand.

Hi Janie M - I can reassure you that most of the people who are objecting and have signed the petition can see the church from their houses or see the church at some point in their day. Ther comments have been overwhelming and all in a similar way to yours and with such obviously deep connection. All those that have signed the peition have filled in a form that says where they live so we know how many are local and it is most of them. Others have a conection in someway or were brought up in the area. We set the petition up to alert local people to the plight of St Hilda's and not people who have no connection with it. It is vital now that those who are showing objection raise their voices to help find a Community Solution. We are writing to everyone who has shown support to ask for their help now in developing a sustainable local plan. We are setting up an official community group 'Save St Hilda's (SSH)' If you would like to be involved in this please contact us via the website http://www.sthildas.webs.com or by email sthildas@mail.com

many thanks for your comment.

I am really worried that you said the diocese told you they have sold it - I was led to believe they had agreed but not yet signed. HS59

I've already signed the petition but thank you for the details. It was July August time the signs went up to say the church was to be demloished and people had until Sept to object, it was then I was told the church had been sold. Saw the piece in the Star tonight as well.

Archived