Any nice walks in Sheffield?

Difficult one that John, You could try Millhouses Park or Hesley Wood near Chapletown.

You asked for Sheffield, one wonders why you don,t go into the Peak District which is doorstep paradise for walks.

Unfortunatly all the large wooded area,s are now gone in Sheffield although Wharncliffe Woods past Oughtabridge still has good walking areas large enough to spend a few good hours.

Eccellsall woods - park up on abbeydale rd nr Industrial Hamlet.

Round Walk - You can get on this at various places in Sheffield.

A good one is to go to Ringinglow rd park nr the Roundhouse and there is an old roman causeway over to Fox House, have a pint or an ice cream and come back (probably about 5 mile round trip)

Catch the bus to totley terminus, then cross the road and walk past the corner shop (which used to be a post office.) Walk straight on past the farm and the new developments and over the stile, then cross the fields up to the woods and over to Holmesfield it brings you out at the side of the "Angel" where you can have a pint before returning.

Alternatively, go to the "Sheply Spitfire" at the bottom of Mickley Lane and walk up the path at the side of the pub, it will take you up through the wood to the same place.

Also... Forge Dam... catch the 60 to the second stop after Nether Green school and it's a lovely walk... even if you can't find it!!

Also The Five Weirs walk.. that's quite a nice walk in Summer.

Chloé

If you like history and amazing city views try the Norfolk Trail - goes from the cathedral to Manor Lodge. There's a leaflet for it, but it's only in first draft. You should be able to pick it up from the Centre in the Park, Manor Lodge, and Sheff. Wildlife Trust HQ on Stafford RD. I'd post one out, but I'm not at work this week. 8):D

Try CCCs or Waterstones - there are actually as lot of good walks in Sheffield. How about the 5 Weirs Walk...

I guess John means by 'nice' somewhere green - but by 'in Sheffield' within the urban area. Sheffield City Council website [look under Out & About, Maps] has a pdf showing all the parks & open spaces - there are apparently 78 parks in Sheffield.

I'd recommend taking a 51 all the way to Redmires [they don't all go all the way] which will give you a choice of walking on moorland, through woods & by water.

Also, check out the 'Sheffield links' on the left - there are 2 I spotted which should help - the Ramblers Association, and Walks in Sheffield which is right at the end of the list.

Since I posted this the links have been reorganised - but hopefully they are still in there somewhere.

Archived