Avery scales - Snig Hill

Hi I started work at Avery's at the end of August 1965 and served a five year apprenticeship there. Some engineers names remembered from that time include Bill Booth, Earnest Taylor and Frank Loveday. Some of the younger guys being John Cotton, Frank Stansfield, Brian Ashforth, And fellow apprentices Les Bonnington, Trevor Ford, John Raszka And Brian Sargent. The Indian Chap who was the storekeeper was, as I recall called Edwin. The company was involved in the sale, repair and service of various capacity of weighing equipment from chemists balances up to and including weighbridges. These were mechanical machines when I started work, the digital electronic stuff coming in some years later. My name is Keith, and it would be nice to hear from anyone else who possibly worked with me.

brian ashforth is a very dear friend of mine so i shall tell him about this thread, Kieth whats your second name?

Hi Couture, Yes I worked with Brian for several years before being transferred to Avery's in Barnsley, which happened in about 1974. I remember throwing a few arrows with him in the Wincobank Arms (I think) in the afternoon when we were supposed to be working. Certainly tell him about this. My name is Keith Nicklin.

Hi Couture, Yes I worked with Brian for several years before being transferred to Avery's in Barnsley, which happened in about 1974. I remember throwing a few arrows with him in the Wincobank Arms (I think) in the afternoon when we were supposed to be working. Certainly tell him about this. My name is Keith Nicklin.

hi Keith, thanks for your reply, i rang brian earlier but he was out shopping so i will call him later at home, he sounded really interested and he often mentions the days at avery with fondness, speak soon.

Hi keith still alive spoke to John Cotton this morning he dosn't know Franks number but we all met up last year at Brian Barlows funeral.Glad to know you are still going strong. Spoke to Eddie Hauge aswell he said he'd been wondering about you as well

Hi Brian, great to hear from you.Been trying to find some of the guys from back then, with some luck as well. If you look on page 1 of this thread you will see a user name of climber, thats Les Bonnington. Mick Stokes and I are both on Facebook, as is Trevor Ford. Trevor now lives and works in Herefordshire as a mental health nurse, myself and my wife visited him some time back, and he is getting married again in April. Myself and my wife Irene will be attending if possible. You mention Eddie Hauge in your post, but I am afraid I cant recall him, you will have to give me a clue as to who he is. Anyway Brian I will leave it at that for now, my best wishes to you. Please pass on my regards to John Cotton, or anyone else who knows me. Please stay in touch. Keith.

• 9 years later...
  • 10 months later...

My late mum and dad both worked for Avery's - mum was a bookkeeper/ ledger clerk and left in 1960 to have me. My dad was apprenticed there before WW2 and went back after his war service until the late 60's, initially on scales, but laterly on the Testing ,machines side when they amalgamated with Dennison's. Him and his oppo (Doug Brown) used to cover an area from Leeds down to Derby and Nottingham in a little Ford Thames van as I recall, and when dad left to go to work at Totley college Doug was persuaded to stay on a few days a week even tho he was due to retire.

Reading back on this thread I'm sure I recall him talking about Frank Loveday, and mum worked with Roberta and Linda as well, and they kept in touch for years

I remember going into the workshop a couple of times as a youngster , and remember a shop window with scales in, and a set of large wooden doors as a vehicle entrance.

Still have dads 25year service gold watch, and wear it for special occasions Got loads of photos of him in group shots while on training courses at Birmingham

Edited by Allusadeedah
added name

39 minutes ago, Allusadeedah said:

My late mum and dad both worked for Avery's - mum was a bookkeeper/ ledger clerk and left in 1960 to have me. My dad was apprenticed there before WW2 and went back after his war service until the late 60's, initially on scales, but laterly on the Testing ,machines side when they amalgamated with Dennison's. Him and his oppo (Doug Brown) used to cover an area from Leeds down to Derby and Nottingham in a little Ford Thames van as I recall, and when dad left to go to work at Totley college Doug was persuaded to stay on a few days a week even tho he was due to retire.

Reading back on this thread I'm sure I recall him talking about Frank Loveday, and mum worked with Roberta and Linda as well, and they kept in touch for years

I remember going into the workshop a couple of times as a youngster , and remember a shop window with scales in, and a set of large wooden doors as a vehicle entrance.

Still have dads 25year service gold watch, and wear it for special occasions Got loads of photos of him in group shots while on training courses at Birmingham

I worked for Avery scales on Snig Hill when I left school in 1964 and so will have come across your dad.

I recall there was one man who had served in the Royal Navy.

I only stayed a few months.