The Cross Scythes, derbyshire lane

cantstop

• 5 months later...

We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)

• 4 weeks later...
We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)

Most of the places you go to (Waitrose, The Graze, etc.) seem to be full of children with pretentious names.

Both The Cross Scythes and The Stag involve walks up incredibly steep hills.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

last time i was in the cross scythes was a few months ago & i was impressed. it holds regular pizza oven events which gets very busy & has a large selection of real ales. The function room at the back holds around 60/70 people & is separated from the rest of the pub. Also the abbey on the corner of abbey lane & woodseats road has recently reopened after a re-fit & has a private function room upstairs. Hope this helps