What is Hallamshire House pub, Walkley, like?

Robbie9

I like most things about the refurb - the two front snugs are really good and the covered smoking area under the snooker room will be a winner.

Can't make my mind up about the back room yet - the high ceiling is good although it makes the room look shorter - but the lights look out of place and the horns / antlers on the walls are plain silly. The new windows look classy though.

In the snooker room I thought the "zebra effect" covering over the table light was awful - and I think they ought to have ripped out the bench seats and replaced them with tall tables & stools.

All in all a very good refurb and the beer was spot on.

I think the idea of closing at 11pm Sun - Thurs may prove a little short sighted, especially when the students are back, and sticking with the old 11:30 closing would be very popular.

• 2 weeks later...

whatever you think of the renovation, Thornbridge are a 'local' Brewery putting money back into residential areas like Crookes and Greystones. At a time when pubs are shutting down they are innovating and using their ales to sell the pub as an experience.

I happen to think they've done a great job with the Hallamshire. I don't think many new owners would have kept the snooker table for example.. They could have easily filled that space with extra tables for extra punters but they've given a nod to the community and kept something unique.

Can't wait to sample more of my new local.

whatever you think of the renovation, Thornbridge are a 'local' Brewery putting money back into residential areas like Crookes and Greystones. At a time when pubs are shutting down they are innovating and using their ales to sell the pub as an experience.

I happen to think they've done a great job with the Hallamshire. I don't think many new owners would have kept the snooker table for example.. They could have easily filled that space with extra tables for extra punters but they've given a nod to the community and kept something unique.

Can't wait to sample more of my new local.

the place is massive and I'm a fan of thornbridge beers. firendly staff, and the snooker table is fun (even though Im rubbish)

• 1 month later...

I've got mixed feelings about the refurb. I like the fact that some things haven't been changed for the sake of it, like the snug with the old pictures for example. I like the restoration of the grooved walls and vaulted ceiling in the back but otherwise, that room has the look of a horrendously soulless city centre bar. The uniform grey walls are quite hideous too. Of course being Thornbridge owned, the beer is very good, if somewhat overpriced.

I enjoy going there in the afternoon but I made the mistake of going in once on a Friday evening and found the place to be packed out with baying fashionistas. I wonder if Thornbridge has become too much of a slick operation and has started to appeal to the wrong sort of people.

I've got mixed feelings about the refurb. I like the fact that some things haven't been changed for the sake of it, like the snug with the old pictures for example. I like the restoration of the grooved walls and vaulted ceiling in the back but otherwise, that room has the look of a horrendously soulless city centre bar. The uniform grey walls are quite hideous too. Of course being Thornbridge owned, the beer is very good, if somewhat overpriced.

I enjoy going there in the afternoon but I made the mistake of going in once on a Friday evening and found the place to be packed out with baying fashionistas. I wonder if Thornbridge has become too much of a slick operation and has started to appeal to the wrong sort of people.

I would probably be classed at the wrong type of person as you put it. Frankly, thornbridge have made drinking ale fashionable among the young again, can this ever be a bad thing? Or should I go back on the stella?

Archived